• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on an AK roadtrip through Canada

Titanium Soldier

I am in the military (air force) and my first base was in AK and i loved it up there, and for all you ppl out there who havent been you should def go at least once in your lifetime! Its def not what some people think, yes there are wal marts! Anyway, we (because since i left i am now married and have a little boy) want to go back and now i finally got orders out of CA!! I DO NOT want to get rid of my m35a2 so i will need to drive it which is a **** of a questionable thing to do alone as it is. So i was wondering if any of you guys have driven through canada or went on that 2009 roadtrip what (if anything) did you need to do to cross the border in and out of Canada legally? Being its an ex-MV are there any legal issues?? i have head a few ppl say you cant but i know you can so im just trying to get prepared. I have a while till a leave and the rig is in good mechanical shape and know what to expect as i have driven the ALCAN twice now, but that was in a much newer truck than a 1970 2.5 ton!! Any info would be appreciated! thanks!

M1031CMT

Can't see why it would be an issue driving it across the border up here. As long as you have the truck legally registered and have insurance you are good to go. Lots of us up here drive them around every day without a problem. We also drive them down to the US and back without a problem (well other than the border guards just wanting to look at a cool military truck) :wink:

Now if you were driving into Mexico I would see a problem, as I am told it is illegal to have a vehicle painted in military colors (due to the drug war problem down there). But you are good up here.

As for the road trip in itself, it will be an adventure for sure. If something were to happen, there are more than a few people in western Canada that could help you with parts.

SS member m1010plowboy is over in Edmonton. Might not be super close by (depending on how you are going up), but I am sure he would likely be of help if something were to happen.

Last edited:

Titanium Soldier

Thanks for the info, i just dont want any surprises entering or exiting the borders, from both times ive been through there, i havent had one issue, even traveling with guns and ammo!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The MVPA IS DOING the ALCAN hihgway trip thing this summer, there is a BIG thread on it here on SS

Titanium Soldier

I looked through it didnt see much about border crossing itself just some people arguing about crossing with firearms legally.... and how much fuel costs/35mph/6weeks... to bad it didnt line up when i need to leave!

M1031CMT

Yes be careful with guns/ammo when crossing the border. I do not know exactly what it takes, but I heard it was just filling out a form when you get to the border. Just make sure you declare the guns/ammo, because if you don't they will be seized (and you will never get them back no matter what) and then they will charge you with arms trafficking. Here is a story about what happens. But don't be too worried, as it is easier to bring firearms into Canada than the other way around. You should see what the ATF and State Department want in terms of paperwork before you bring one into the US.

Best thing to do is to call the crossing where you are coming into the country. Ask any questions of the people that work there and make sure to get names and if possible anything in writing (they will usually email and/or fax you any documents you need).

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Into Canada with Private Military Vehicle

[FONT=&quot]Terry, Wendy, Jeff and I'm sure several others with the MVPA should have the info on this.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.mvpa.org/[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They have been deep into the ALCAN planning for a while now and I know they love to help.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wendy Rowsam[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Military Vehicle Preservation Association[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Convoy Planning & Public Relations Volunteer[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can print the firearms declaration forms out and fill them out ahead of time. Just don't sign them until you get to the border crossing. Also note the list of forbidden guns before you go. Most of the military type rifles and hand guns with less than a 6" barrel are not permitted. You can find the info on-line, just Google it.

Sounds like fun driving the Deuce to AK. I hope it has a good seat. [thumbzup]

goodguyzy

Have you thought about driving to Seattle and shipping it on a boat. There are lots of members up and down I-5 but once your in Canada your on your own, and I think its cheaper to ship from there if I remember right.

moosebgy

We just made the trip up from Oregon with a car and not a deuce but here's a little info. We grabbed the ferry from Bellingham to Haines. Alaska Marine Highway charges by the foot. Takes right around 3 days so if you can get a stateroom, makes it nicer. From Haines there's good fuel stops in Haines Junction (around 120miles), next is Beaver Creek (aournd 250 miles) then border crossing and on to Tok (around 120miles). Some places you won't make real good time due to frost heaves and a such so be ready for them. Border crossings were good, just make sure you have all your paperwork, especially if you have pets. Have fun and watch for moose and buffalo.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You CAN take firearms through Canada. Just follow their rules, and make sure your paperwork is in order. It's very easy to take items within the limits of their laws, and I found all the RCMP and customs folks to be very helpful, professional and mostly friendly.

I'm interested to hear how a deuce trip works out for you TS. I came down from Ft Wainwright a year ago and I intend to go back, at least to Anchorage, as soon as the Army will let me. I need to figure out how to get a truck up there too. I got a quote from uShip for $11,000 to haul a M35A3 up to Fairbanks about 2-3 years ago- I'd much rather drive it.

feezy

you may want to look at the alaska state ferry system, drive up to Bellingham, WA, get her on the ferry and ride it up seward or some port south of anchorage,. it'd take 2 days by ferry and pretty much cost the same as your fuel costs would be and you don't have to deal with canada customs. besides once you get out of southern BC going north out of vancouver, and the mountains end, it's just alot of farm land for about another 18 hours till you start getting close to the Yukon border, not to say there isn't some scenic things, the ALCAN highway is a great drive, but gas can get pretty spendy too up there and it's alot of little mom and pop type gas stations. Igrew up in both southeast alaska and british columbia, it's not bad, but I woul consider the ferry system, you don't even need a stateroom, just crash in the solarium, and on the water (Inside passage) through southeast alaska is F****N' Beautiful during the summer months!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks