• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

question on bearings/hub on a M1101

12vman

just wondering if it is normal to have one hub that is cold to the touch after highway travel and one that is warm...not hot...def can grab it w/o it getting to hot to touch ......my other M101s usually the bearings/hubs are barely warm after highway travel.....could this be normal for my M1101???.......I know I will catch **** for this but I hv never repacked the bearings on any of my military trailers over the years......they just haven't needed it......and to my knowledge even the ones sold to others ..they have never repacked the bearings.....I don't know maybe Im being too anal

stoned crow

Whats the date of manufacture on the trailer? If it's 11 Jan, 2005 - 14 July, 2005 the spindle nut could be over torqued. That being said, if it's just warm and not hot, it's not an issue.

harleyhouse

Warm is fine, motion creates heat.
I would remove both sides, inspect, and repack the bearings and adjust the hubs.
A piece of mind and will be serviced for many years to come.

Attachments

Maynard99

I just bought a 2010 M1102 this weekend. After a few miles i checked the hubs and both were warm exactly as you described. The castle nuts were too tight. Had to loosen both of them up. Set them hand tight and then backed them off to the next notch. Then drove it down the interstate 100 miles at 75 mph. Refelt the hubs and they were completely cool, no heat at all. Once we got it home we stripped the hubs down completely and cleaned/regreased everything. Love the trailer!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks