• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on Camo Technique

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am painting my deuce with a base coat of Rapco 383 green and have brown and black in spray cans from Rapco for the camo pattern. I made my first attempt at doing a freehand section of black over the green today and did a real crappy job. I tried to be real careful but there is a serious amount of overspray. I used the white spray tip and then the black but that was even worse. Any pointers will be appreciated.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll have what seems like alot of overspray, but when it's done it will look correct.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They maybe MDSA. I may try nozzles from various spray cans I have to see if I can improve the results. My Rapco nozzles seem to cause drips.

Scarecrow1

I recently Painted my 3/4 ton johnson trailer ....I tried rustoleum but like you I wasnt happy .. I then used Krylon and it made a big diffrence ...The tip was much more user friendly , And the colors much flatter than anything else I tried on the local market . The Rustoleum flat black had a definate sheen to it .Not as flat as I like ....Just my 2 cents worth

Attachments

wsucougarx

Chalkboard black paint in the rattle cans is absolutely the flattest black I have seen. I bought mine at Home Depot. Stuff is as flat as CARC. Not sure what the long term finish will look like but it looks great so far (5 months). As far as technique, overspray edges is what you're after. First rattle can the borders then fill in. I have noticed Gillespie paint doesn't cover chalk marks all too great. I used chalk to outline the different camo areas and you can still see the chalk through the paint:roll:

RANDYDIRT

Scarecrow, is that shadow of a soldier painted on your trailer, or is that a shadow of the photographer? Either way it looks neat.

Dirt

Well im gonna chime in on this One thing i will say The art is defintely there. The milspec Single Componet Carc Is Diffrent as night and day Than what yall are using in the public sector. The military is a little more forgiving on the way a pattern is as the military will beat the tar out of the MV and not think twice more about use than looks. How Ever my personal thoughts are with you if u want it pperfect by all means I use to Chalk patterns on the Equipment and onething u need to always remeber is no line will ever have a straight line in it it needs to flow. Also no matter what u do a pattern will never bee the same on every MV because of the Fact that one guy might make a curve a little sharper than the next.REMEBER ITS YOUR TRUCK AS LONG AS U ARE HAPPY THATS ALL THAT MATTERs MERRY CHRISTMAS :beer:

PS i got lucky i can do a pattern in my sleep been doing for so long but thats me A pattern specfic to the vehicle is Big help but u can free hand it a little more time consumeing though

Last edited:

B3.3T

I like Rapco paint and have used it for 18 years, but their rattle cans suck IMHO. Spray is inconsistent and the nozzles clog a lot. I always end up just throwing them away. I have better results with Rustoleum. Much better.

scorpion6

Southern steel is right. If you check the mil trucks you will find the lines are all different and over-spray is an optical break up. no straight lines and as far as putting the pattern on ; I shoot the base then use a regular sharpie to set the pattern. Shoot over the sharpie with the proper paint then fill it is. Never had any problem with covering up the sharpie.:twisted:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks