• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on changing gear ratio and locker?

hvillem1009

I am getting ready to take my M1009 to the shop to have gears changed. Looking to go to 3.42 gears with a different locker in the rear. Not sure what locker to get. I will be using truck on road mostly with light off road use. Anyone have any suggestions on what locker would be good and possibly best place to get one?

Mercunimog404

Banned
Just put a lock rite. My old ramcharger has had its lock rite for over 10 years now. It's had 33s everyday I've has it. Even been rock crawling quite a bit and has no issues.

Hasdrubal

I've been considering the Powertrax No-Slip for my M1009. Supposed to be quiet on the street, unlike a true locker. Combines the smooth operation of a limited-slip differential, with the traction performance of a locking differential. Still have the G80 GovLoc, works fine after 10 years. But I'm mindful of its delicate reputatation and drive with a light throttle on ice and snow. Only thing is the Powertrax would require a new open carrier as its not designed to replace an existing limited slip or locker.

Mercunimog404

Banned
I've been considering the Powertrax No-Slip for my M1009. Supposed to be quiet on the street, unlike a true locker. Combines the smooth operation of a limited-slip differential, with the traction performance of a locking differential. Still have the G80 GovLoc, works fine after 10 years. But I'm mindful of its delicate reputatation and drive with a light throttle on ice and snow. Only thing is the Powertrax would require a new open carrier as its not designed to replace an existing limited slip or locker.
The no slip is the same as a lock rite. It's a full locker. No limited slip action at all

Hasdrubal

Ahh...bother to check the manufacturers website first? Its my understanding that they are two completely different systems, from totally different product lines with different part numbers. Why else would the manufacturer's site state ; It combines the smooth operation of a limited-slip differential, with the traction performance of a locking differential. A precise synchronization mechanism eliminates the ratcheting sounds typical of other locking differentials. Special gear and spring design reduce the backlash and therefore driveline windup. No Slip Part #92-0785-2805

Lockrite ; the brute force characteristics of the Lockrite Locker limit general application in less tolerant and more mainstream applications. We recommend the LOCK-RIGHT for vehicles that are primarily driven in severe driving conditions or are used for recreational off-road. Lockrite # 1920-LR

That being said, I'm also looking at a Detroit Trutrac, Yes, I know its not a locker. I'm also considering the front axle, so I wont only have 3-wheel drive.

Mercunimog404

Banned
Ahh...bother to check the manufacturers website first? Its my understanding that they are two completely different systems, from totally different product lines with different part numbers. Why else would the manufacturer's site state ; It combines the smooth operation of a limited-slip differential, with the traction performance of a locking differential. A precise synchronization mechanism eliminates the ratcheting sounds typical of other locking differentials. Special gear and spring design reduce the backlash and therefore driveline windup. No Slip Part #92-0785-2805

Lockrite ; the brute force characteristics of the Lockrite Locker limit general application in less tolerant and more mainstream applications. We recommend the LOCK-RIGHT for vehicles that are primarily driven in severe driving conditions or are used for recreational off-road. Lockrite # 1920-LR

That being said, I'm also looking at a Detroit Trutrac, Yes, I know its not a locker. I'm also considering the front axle, so I wont only have 3-wheel drive.
It replaces the spider gears. Just like a lock rite and an Aussie locker. It doesn't replace the whole carrier like the classic Detroit locker. It's a full locker however. Cheaper and not as strong. But still a full locker. If one tire is on a rock and one in the air. There is zero slip between either sides. Hence it's locked.

DieselBob

I put a Detroit TruTrac in my 89 V1500 Jimmy, same as the K5 Blazer and loved it. No special lubes like the clutch units. No clutches or springs to wear out and seamless smooth operation in the snow. I put well over 200K on the TruTrac with no problems. 2cents