• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on installing a hydraulic winch on the unimog 419

laproscopic

I bought this mog from my little brother. He purchased did a couple of years ago and had it shipped to Arizona. Over three days he remove the loader and the backhoe and sent them away to scrap. All of the valves were tossed away. He then changed all the fluids and drove it to Utah where it sat until last winter.

I bought the Mogg last winter and cleaned it up. Sanded it down and painted it. Put new lights in it. Then I put these big army tires on. She drives very nice. I have had her on seven hour drives to go wheeling here in the valley. California. I’ve had her on some rock trails. She drives nice. This summer my brothers and father are going to run the Rubicon. I’m going to take the mog. I’ve done lots of wheeling including the hammers and the Dusy. I have an ultra4 car. But We have never done the Rubicon.
We are going to run the con June 11 through the 15th. Likely be snow. I want to put a strong 15,000 pound hydraulic winch on the mog So I have limitless duty cycle. I have two electric winches is on it now But I want the hydraulic.

The question is this. I have never done a hydraulic winch and I have read the manuals concerning installing a mile marker or warn onto a power steering pump. I don’t think the front pump at 8 gallons per minute is beefy enough. The rear pump that is on the PTO is 26 gallons per minute. But again I have no valves because my brother threw them away. My plan was to bring it to the tractor shop and have them install a tractor valve on it and plum in a 15 to 20,000 pound hydraulic winch. Do you expert see any problems with that?

Attachments

Speedwoble

I bought this mog from my little brother. He purchased did a couple of years ago and had it shipped to Arizona. Over three days he remove the loader and the backhoe and sent them away to scrap. All of the valves were tossed away. He then changed all the fluids and drove it to Utah where it sat until last winter.

I bought the Mogg last winter and cleaned it up. Sanded it down and painted it. Put new lights in it. Then I put these big army tires on. She drives very nice. I have had her on seven hour drives to go wheeling here in the valley. California. I’ve had her on some rock trails. She drives nice. This summer my brothers and father are going to run the Rubicon. I’m going to take the mog. I’ve done lots of wheeling including the hammers and the Dusy. I have an ultra4 car. But We have never done the Rubicon.
We are going to run the con June 11 through the 15th. Likely be snow. I want to put a strong 15,000 pound hydraulic winch on the mog So I have limitless duty cycle. I have two electric winches is on it now But I want the hydraulic.

The question is this. I have never done a hydraulic winch and I have read the manuals concerning installing a mile marker or warn onto a power steering pump. I don’t think the front pump at 8 gallons per minute is beefy enough. The rear pump that is on the PTO is 26 gallons per minute. But again I have no valves because my brother threw them away. My plan was to bring it to the tractor shop and have them install a tractor valve on it and plum in a 15 to 20,000 pound hydraulic winch. Do you expert see any problems with that?
8gal/min @ 2500 psi is 11.7hp. I think that is plenty to run a winch. Check your desired winch flow rate.

laproscopic

8gal/min @ 2500 psi is 11.7hp. I think that is plenty to run a winch. Check your desired winch flow rate.
looking at the mile marker 12000 winch requirements I suspect you are correct. Hmmm. I will look into that.
As I read more about the PTO pump option I am less enthusiastic. until late I hadn't thought of the problem I will have when trying to drive and run the pto shaft for the pump at the same time.

from the mile marker instrctions:
Power Steering Min. Requirements3.5 GPM @ 1500 psi (13.25 L/m @ 103.4 bars)

the mile marker only goes 5.6 fpm at 12000 lbs. not any faster than a similar 24v winch. but the electric motor winch has a limited duty cycle.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep in mind that the volume of the pump, as in 8 gpm versus 25 gpm, whatever, does not indicate how hard the winch will pull. The pulling strength is dependent on the pressure of the system. The front system of the typical 406 based Unimog has plenty of pressure to run a good winch. I do it all the time with a 10k Warn Hydraulic.

A winch is not a high volume device either. The motor might only need 8 gpm to attain design speed. Higher volume might force it just a little faster but the hydro will go into bypass with any volume the winch does not need. You might check the specs on a few hydraulic winches to see their requirements before expecting "too slow".

Even if the winch can use, say, 15 gpm, and you only have 11 gpm, winching will be a little slower but still pull the rated pull.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks