• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

question on M35A2

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You shouldn't need ether in this kind of heat to get the engine started. We have never used the cold start system(s) on any of our deuces and we've had trucks with both flame heaters and ether injection.

If you are trying to diagnose a no-start condition, a small amount in the air intake is fine, but the phrase "a little dab will do you" is good to remember. Too much and the engine will rev high and quickly and that's a recipe for a spun bearing.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Have you checked the shut off valve on the Injector Pump? Sometimes they stick closed.

Before you give it a hot shot try bleeding the fuel filters.....the primary (under the alternator) should have a bleed valve on the bottom of it. The secondaries (drivers side of engine) have a bleeder bolt (usually 9/16th) on top.

Flip the battery switch to "On", you should hear or feel the in tank pump running. If you don't you need to check the fuse (located under a cover on the top of the pump).

If the pump is running open the bleeder valve on the primary (you may have to run a thin piece of wire into it to clean it out).

If the pump is working you should get a good flow of fuel out of the bleeder. If you have a glass jar let the fuel run into it and set it out in the sun to see how much crud will settle out of it. If you get flow from the primary move over to the secondaries.

Close the valve on the primary and crack the bleeder on the top of the filter canister mount.

Again.....if the in tank pump is working you should get a good flow of fuel from the valve.

If you have flow to there close the valve and crack the line where it goes into the Injector Pump to make sure you have flow to there.

If you have fuel to that point you can give her a SMALL shot of ether in the air cleaner.......the engine will actually run on ether but it is not a good thing.......if the IP is getting fuel and the engine is getting air it should start.

Unless you know for a fact that the truck has been serviced recently it is a good idea to change all the fuel filters as a preventive measure. I would also recommend draining the fuel tank (there is a plug on the bottom) to make sure it not full of crud and water.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to admit... never expected such responses to THAT kind of Q...
Amazing!
Thanks for your dedication and patience... both, Clinto and Wreckerman!

G.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd use WD40 first, it provides a little lube and doesn't make the RPM's go up as high as ether for the same amount. Less tendency for engine damage. Don't forget to take off the little red straw....

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or you can use propane. A friend used starting fluid on his 7.3 power stroke last week and now it has jumped time.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It amazes me when people ask about ether and the advise given, is to use something else(for false reasons and usually with no experience) rather than how to use ether properly and when to use it.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It amazes me when people ask about ether and the advise given, is to use something else(for false reasons and usually with no experience) rather than how to use ether properly and when to use it.
I think it's nice to know about other options, it's more tools in the toolbox IMHO. And I have plenty of experience using WD40, not to mention it's usually more availible. Thanks for being positive.