• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on pitting repairs

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, if one were restoring a truck that had some heavier pieces with heavy pitting, what would be the different and preferred methods of filling the pits? We're talking 11ga +/-.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If it were me.......

I'd use a heavy abrasive, such as sand or aluminum oxide and blast it nice and clean. You have to use a hard media like this to get down in the pits.

Then, I'd use a filler like All-metal to fill in the low spots, then smooth it out and sand/grind to desired level of smoothness. Then you can use a good self etching epoxy primer.

I have access to a good price on gallons of Southern Polyurethane's line of epoxy primers. I can get you some and you can pick up at the Ga Rally if desired.

Alternatively, you could use plastic filler, but I prefer the All-metal (years ago was known as alumalead). Made by Ditzler.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd cut the portion out and replace with new sheet. Any fix you do, whether it be fiberglass or lead, will simply be that, a patch, and it won't last forever. Sanding smooth with a disc will thin the metal and you won't be happy with that either.

Jones

Where are the problem spots, Kenny? I tend to think in terms of making new if it's a panel or bracket.
11ga. is just short of 1/8" so spot filling with a wire welder is a possibility since that thickness wouldn't be as prone to warping from the heat as 16 or 18ga would be. The trick is to stitch weld it rather than run continuous passes so you can control heat build-up.
Regardless of your chosen method of repair-- clean, bare metal is the place to start.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks