• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on power steerng/trans fluid level.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My power steering started whining last time I drove the vehicle. Today I went out and checked the level while cold, it was right at the perfect mark. I realize it's supposed to be checked while hot in idle, So I took it for a spin, once it got good and hot, checked it again. Was bone dry which explains the whining once it warms up. My question is, it will be way above the topped off mark when it's cold once I add enough. Normal? I'm guessing bone dry would be at least two quarts need to be added?

Mike82ndABN

there should be a hot and cold mark on the dipstick.

there isn't a two quart difference between the two marks though.

additionally, the hot level is HIGHER than the cold level, because the fluid expands.

not sure why your level is lower when hot, that is peculiar.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay false alert as far as the power steering......Having a serious senior moment/just glance at the pictures in the TM after working all night...... Don't even ask...... Okay, My power steering fluid is low, no problem...... BUT my transmission fluid is just as I said, At perfect reading cold fluid/transmission, bare stick at HOT. Is this the vampire effect? Just checked it cold again, it's fine. Does the fluid drain into the transfer case when hot then come back into the transmission when it cools down?

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike82ndABN

The full mark on the transmission dipstick is meant for when hot, while the engine is running, after briefly placing the shifter thru each position.

When cold yours may seem full because the transmission cooler is draining back perhaps? It's the level when hot that matters though.

You could always take the fill plug out the transfer case to see if you have vampire issues. It ATF comes pouring out, then you have issues, slight dribble is ok.

I also wanted to add that the atf in the transmission should never mix with the atf in the transfer case. They are separate systems. There are transmission fluid lines that run to and from the transfer case, they enter the transfer case and flow through a sealed cooling loop, but the fluids don't mix unless you have the vampire (broken cooling loop).

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
level
level .........................................
all vehicles, always even the old Chevy
the truck, racecar, moped and Harley

transmission at operating temperature
engineering specs
and level

crankcase too
coolant also

drive her
then checker