• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on turn signal

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35A2 turn signal. I'm taking the dash apart for paint. Pull the turn signal and removed the green lens to tape off and about a tablespoon of some powder spilled out. Looks like sand but as a sealed unit can't imagine it got in.
Is this some kind of dry lubricant or perhaps corrosion? I hesitate to take this apart as I suspect it will explode when I do but its not very smooth to operate and is pretty difficult to turn. They are not too expensive but it is really starting to add up!

FloridaAKM

Could it be dried up blinker fluid? ;-) It might be sand as there should be nothing inside the housing & I doubt it is a desicant compound. Let's see what the resident experts have to say later on.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure looks like sand. Being curious, I'd take a small portion and see what it does when you add a bit of water, then maybe try alcohol, then try a solvent like mineral spirits/naphtha, laq. thinner, brake cleaner, etc.. If it still feels gritty when rubbed between the fingers after all that... I'd say it's sand.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not really a sealed unit when the green cap is off. Imagine this being driven in the sandbox with the green cap missing for a couple of weeks. It would be full of sand...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure looks like it. Didn't think about it being operated without the lens. That explains why it feels so rough when used. Guess I'll pop it open and access any damage.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
M35A2 turn signal. I'm taking the dash apart for paint. Pull the turn signal and removed the green lens to tape off and about a tablespoon of some powder spilled out. Looks like sand but as a sealed unit can't imagine it got in.
Is this some kind of dry lubricant or perhaps corrosion? I hesitate to take this apart as I suspect it will explode when I do but its not very smooth to operate and is pretty difficult to turn. They are not too expensive but it is really starting to add up!
could be something people snort

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could also be corrosion as the housing is aluminum casting. I opened up a TA-312 once and it was like that all through the interior, closed it back up and sent it to surplus sales.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to pitch it. Open it up, clean it out as best you can, clean the switch contacts, and lube the switch cams. I have found white powder inside from aluminum corrosion on the switches in my trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks