• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question regarding M1009 wheels

85CUCVtom

I would do that in a second
Thought it would be more than that.
About same price for new aftermarket wheels I’m guessing.

Freshly refurbished factory wheels would look great.
My powder coat guy is sort of a perfectionist. He worked as speciality coatings engineer for a big automation corporation. When it comes to putting coatings on metal- he knows his stuff. He did a core support for me and it was absolutely beautiful. I’m gonna have him do the rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cucvrus

The powder coaters that do or new parts at the truck plant will not do any old rusty parts. They do new stuff with light rust but not pitted. It ruins the blast medium and I am told contaminates / clogs the screens on the filtering system. He showed me hunks of rust that came from used parts. He now only does new parts. Said more money in it and easier because it is automated. The recovery system removes small particles and drops them in a barrel. The dust recovery system is amazing. I have a local shop that blasts and the are state approved. They blast in a room and it is a mess. Sand up to your ankles at the sides. My M1009 frame has just been blasted. All the attachments are blasted also. Not sure they do a true flat black in powder coat. Do they?

85CUCVtom

The powder coaters that do or new parts at the truck plant will not do any old rusty parts. They do new stuff with light rust but not pitted. It ruins the blast medium and I am told contaminates / clogs the screens on the filtering system. He showed me hunks of rust that came from used parts. He now only does new parts. Said more money in it and easier because it is automated. The recovery system removes small particles and drops them in a barrel. The dust recovery system is amazing. I have a local shop that blasts and the are state approved. They blast in a room and it is a mess. Sand up to your ankles at the sides. My M1009 frame has just been blasted. All the attachments are blasted also. Not sure they do a true flat black in powder coat. Do they?
The shop I use won’t blast anything that has CARC paint applied to it. I guess his filtration system can’t catch all the nasty elements in CARC and he doesn’t want it in his blasting media. The guy is pretty sharp. There is another local guy though, he doesn’t care what he blasts as long as you have cash in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsh4364

I really hate to start a new thread about this but I am getting conflicting information on the subject. I'm getting some new rubber for the blazer and my wheels are kinda rough, so I figured I would get some new steel wheels. I found a set of wheels that match up: the backspacing, the bolt pattern and obviously the diameter match but for some reason I can't find anything that has a matching center bore.

I'm looking at these wheels: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-51-5883f/overview/
Mods, remove the link if not allowed.

So my question is, are the blazer wheels lug-centric, hub-centric or a combination of both? Does having a larger center bore than the original wheels present a safety issue? Or is everything centered up on the lug nuts?

Let me know what you guys think! I really want to get these things ordered but I certainly don’t want to create a safety issue on the road.
Been running that same style steel wheel for 90k plus miles, 60k with 33 x 10.5 tires and nearly 45k miles with 33x 12.5 tires. And I also run 1.5 " spacers on rears. No problems so far. My next set will be 16x8s for a much better tire size choice.

Last edited:

nyoffroad

I really hate to start a new thread about this but I am getting conflicting information on the subject. I'm getting some new rubber for the blazer and my wheels are kinda rough, so I figured I would get some new steel wheels. I found a set of wheels that match up: the backspacing, the bolt pattern and obviously the diameter match but for some reason I can't find anything that has a matching center bore.

I'm looking at these wheels: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-51-5883f/overview/
Mods, remove the link if not allowed.

So my question is, are the blazer wheels lug-centric, hub-centric or a combination of both? Does having a larger center bore than the original wheels present a safety issue? Or is everything centered up on the lug nuts?

Let me know what you guys think! I really want to get these things ordered but I certainly don’t want to create a safety issue on the road.
A friend of mine ran a set of wheels like that (I'm not sure if exactly the same) and on a trip to Pa the right front wheel just folded over and collapsed in a turn. He then ditched them all in the scrap bin after beating them to keep anyone from using them. Your choice but I'd stay with OEM wheels, if you do get the AM weigh an OEM and an AM and compare.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks