• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question-start motor without alternators?

Larch

Is it possible to start my 6.2 without alternators?(I think it must be). If so do I need to bypass the alternators somehow? What do I do with all the wires for the alternators? Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to see if the motor starts and runs before I spring for a couple of alternators. Thanks

stump

You can start the motor without ths alternators just tape the ends of the alternator wires and use a piece of small rope from the water pump to the balancer to circulate the water. Tape the wires one at a time not together. the rope will not be as tight as a belt so it will be slipping dont try to drive it but you can place it in gear and feel if the trans works. Only do this for a short time like 5 minutes it may overheat. I did this on one in the shipping crate with a radiator hocked up. works great.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you can run the CUCV without working alternators. If they are inplace but not working, you just need the batteries charged to crank the motor and 12v from the front battey to energize the fuel supply solenoid on the injector pump. No need to bypass anything.

As a matter of fact as long as the batteries are charged for cranking and the drivers side alternator is working, you can drive for along time with the passenger side altenator not working.

If the alternators are missing, then follow the above post. Just tape off the wires so there is not shorts and you will be fine for testing.

3dubs

Yes you can run the CUCV without working alternators. If they are inplace but not working, you just need the batteries charged to crank the motor and 12v from the front battey to energize the fuel supply solenoid on the injector pump. No need to bypass anything.

As a matter of fact as long as the batteries are charged for cranking and the drivers side alternator is working, you can drive for along time with the passenger side altenator not working.

If the alternators are missing, then follow the above post. Just tape off the wires so there is not shorts and you will be fine for testing.
X2 Gas engines need alternators to run not diesel engines. Diesels use the alternator to keep the battery charged. The engine in the CUCV has power to the glow plugs to help start, power to the IP to keep a valve open so it can be turned off, and power to the starter. The only power required once it is running is the 12V to the IP and that can come from a battery.

kdoske

You can start the motor without ths alternators just tape the ends of the alternator wires and use a piece of small rope from the water pump to the balancer to circulate the water. Tape the wires one at a time not together. the rope will not be as tight as a belt so it will be slipping dont try to drive it but you can place it in gear and feel if the trans works. Only do this for a short time like 5 minutes it may overheat. I did this on one in the shipping crate with a radiator hocked up. works great.

.......................:confused:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......................:confused:

He is saying to tape the ends of the wires to keep the smoke Jennie in her bottle and to use a rope to make a temperary belt to run the water pump.

You can also use pantyhose to make a temp belt.

This is assuming that the alternators are missing. :driver:

Larch

I tried taping all the ends seperately and got nothing. The batteries i put in were good. Not even a noise when I turned the key, I also tried moving the transmission shifter to make sure it was in park, and also tried it in neutral, no luck. Any suggestions?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To clarify....the alternators are missing? You are trying to start and get nothing?

Taping the lead have nothing to do with starting system. Just keeping it from sparking.

Have you downloaded the Tech Manuals and followed the troubleshooting section? Looked at the wiring diagrams? The starting system is covered in the Appendix E-1 of the TM 9-2320-289-34.

Help us out to try and diagnose the issue.

Is the wiring stock? Has it been hacked up in any way? Have you checked for voltage at the 12v and 24v terminal blocks?

We need more info.

My first thought is that the alternators where removed, the batteries hooked up and something sparked and fried a fusable link.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

OK, anybody is somewhat correct, but nobody in full.
Fact is: You can run a 6.2 l Diesel without generators.
You need: A dummy left side Generator with belt driven by the crank shaft and also driving the water pump. Any broken altinator will work before replacing the regulator and the diode plate.
Else you need a 12 V power source, which can be your cheep battery charger.
Third you need a 24 Volt starting power which can be any of your MV with a 24 V system with a jump cable.
If you read the electric harness according the minimum requirements, you will find out, it works fine. After starting the engine you can disconnect the 24 V and the engine is still running. Preglowing can also be included with the help of the jump cable, however remember the short livecycle of the glow plugs without the electronics.
If you intend to run the engine for a longer period of time, you need to connect the radiator (any radiator which accepts the hose size is fine for that, for you test the engine practically with no load, even with the HTM400 connected to it). Do not forget to short the couling lines of the THM 400! And do not forget to short the oil cooling line of the engine!
I did it that way to run in and do some testing with the 6.2 l Diesel before I installed it in my M715, so the engine had about 7 hours on my test bench before installation.
Wolf

Larch

Yes the alternators are missing. It appears the truck may have had a snow plow on it.(missing bumper, light on cab, quick connect electrical connection on front (not nato slave plug). All the wires appear to be stock. When I taped all the alternator wires and put in 2 good batteries, turned the key and nothing. I'll take another look. The motor looks like it may be a rebuild and I would like to see if it runs before I do anything with it. Thanks.

Larch

I had nothing, but I think I may have found the problem. I had a wire that was cut, I originally thought it may have been from the plow set up, but after looking at the starting wiring diagram I noticed it was not from the plow setup. The wire that was cut came off the negative post on battery 2 rear battery) and it goes to the ENG WRG Harness block. I will reconnect it and see what happens, I'll keep you posted, thanks for all your help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had nothing, but I think I may have found the problem. I had a wire that was cut, I originally thought it may have been from the plow set up, but after looking at the starting wiring diagram I noticed it was not from the plow setup. The wire that was cut came off the negative post on battery 2 rear battery) and it goes to the ENG WRG Harness block. I will reconnect it and see what happens, I'll keep you posted, thanks for all your help.

That wire is the 12v feed for the entire truck. That would cause you to have a NO START problem

Wonder why they would cut that one? Good find.

Larch

I reconnected the cut wire and put in 2 good batteries turned the key the dash lights came on waited for the glow plug light to turn off and she started right up. Still missing a few parts( 2 alternators, power steering pump bracket and crankshaft pully) but will be looking for these. Thanks to alll who replied.:beer:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I reconnected the cut wire and put in 2 good batteries turned the key the dash lights came on waited for the glow plug light to turn off and she started right up. Still missing a few parts( 2 alternators, power steering pump bracket and crankshaft pully) but will be looking for these. Thanks to alll who replied.:beer:
Congrats on get her started.

You will need to find some used alternators and have them rebuilt. You might find the PS bracket at the GM dealer but you best bet would be to find someone that is parting out a CUCV. Same for the pully.

Is your PS pump still there?

The part number for the PS braket is GM 14033879

Larch

Yes the power steering pump is there. Thanks for the part number, I will start looking for parts. Thanks again for your help it is appreciated!:smile:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks