• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about 4 cyl. 3kw gen set.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I picked up a 4 cyl. onan powered 3kw genset with a bad fuel pump, I figured no big deal, just use gravity feed, NOT, found out the needle valve is spring loaded after still no fuel problem, the needle valve needs pressure to override the spring. Since I know NOTHING about gensets and small engines I have these questions.

1--Where can I get a hard copy of tm 5-6115-271-15 ?
2--Is this unit a mep003a ?
3--How hard is it to remove the fuel pump ?
4--How hard is it to rebuild the fuel pump or is it better to just replace ?
5--If replace is best, where can I get one ?
7--Where can I get a carb. gasket kit ?, The carb. WAS a unopened, original till I opened it up to
check for sticking needle valve and found a spring, in doing so the original gaskets took a hit, I could make new ones but that is a pain.
8--What is the called for operating fuel pressure ?, I may try a 12v fuel pump if I can control the fuel
pressure as a temp. fix. (The 12v is not a issue)

Thank you in advance

Jericho

PUMP IS AVAILIBLE FOR CHEAP at Saturn surplus, don't need a aux pump, diaphram is likely shot if it gains oil and smells of fuel as well you will know , stuck needle s and bad sticky float is normal with these

cjcottrill

Sounds like you have a MEP 016A. Electronic manuals are available from this site. There is a recent thread about the carburetors for these units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jericho

Are you running a 4a 032 engine possibly a mep 016 3 kw gas powered genset check the Saturn surplus web site theres a picture there .

Jericho

Don't try to rebuild the fuel pump, not worth your time they are cheap , Carbs are rubbish, gaskets are easy to cut, If your referring to the NEEDLE spring look at the IPB I the T.O. and simply put it back in , they are a dead easy carb, but not really made to repair, Usual mode of failure on mine is stuck needle or bad float, fuel pumps and carb seals wernt made for todays crap gas and the seals take it hard , Saturn used to have carbs but haven't seen any listed for a while, they are on Flea bay occasionnaly, I am down two now myself and searching for a solution see the thread on the AUX equipment forum, Guy Fang is very knowledgeable and helpful , all he ask is that you do some research , Hes a good fella ! Coming from the AF to the Army that says a lot , he knows his stuff and will help you if you help your self

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take it to Rons, he will fix it. :73m819:

Oh shoot this is Ron with the problem.

Nevermind :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks