• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about an '86 CUCV

FrankenCub

Posting links to C list ads is against the rules.
Jeeze... just 10 posts and already bit by the guard dog :sad: LOL. I'll remember not to post them any more ;)

On another note, I believe I'll be passing on that one simply because I don't think the owner and I will be able to meet on a price. It may be worth everything he's asking, but I'm not about to throw a low ball offer either.
I have found another one that is closer to me that is closer to my budget and is also a very solid truck. Needs a few things right off but it hasn't been molested either. Just trying to figure out the logistics of getting it here. Master cylinder leaks down for the back brakes and if it leaks down too fast I wont risk driving it 2 hours home so I'll need a trailer or tow dolly.

86m1028

Jeeze... just 10 posts and already bit by the guard dog :sad: LOL. I'll remember not to post them any more ;)

On another note, I believe I'll be passing on that one simply because I don't think the owner and I will be able to meet on a price. It may be worth everything he's asking, but I'm not about to throw a low ball offer either.
I have found another one that is closer to me that is closer to my budget and is also a very solid truck. Needs a few things right off but it hasn't been molested either. Just trying to figure out the logistics of getting it here. Master cylinder leaks down for the back brakes and if it leaks down too fast I wont risk driving it 2 hours home so I'll need a trailer or tow dolly.
I agree that truck is way too crusty for that price.
Keep looking, you'll find one.

FrankenCub

The one I found closer is $3000 and looks really solid. He sent me a bunch of pictures. The only rust I see in the pics is just surface rust where the paint is fading away. drivers side has a few dents down the side but I don't care about them. A work truck will get dents no matter how careful I am so might as well start out with a few. Then I won't feel so bad about putting a couple more in it lol.
It seems to have been maintained well and 36,000 miles. Needs a windshield, master cylinder, and tires. I prefer buying new tires anyway. That way I get what i want. Working on getting a friend with a truck/trailer to transport it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_4506.jpg
Almost 3500 lbs
M1008A1
Handled load no sweat
Power was good for the load.
Plenty of brake also.

Once you realize what they are and what they are not, life is easier.
If I need to handle heavier or bigger loads, I use my 06 LBZ duramax.
5 ton gets the heaviest work (gravel).

Its 24 degrees outside right now.
I know she'll start right up, without a doubt. Block heater is not plugged in.

Buy the the best parts you can afford.
Keep on top of the maintenance.
The truck will be as reliable as any machine can be.

cucvrus

Jagdtiger.jpgI see a Jagdtiger lurking in the bush back there. Or perhaps a Elefant Panzerjager.jpgElefant Panzerjager. Second thought it is a NATO 5 ton. And hey that saw will cut them ties without a problem. And you could do it wearing a 3 piece suit and not get dirty. Yes the CUCV can handle the weight. Without a doubt. And with the stock brakes it does really well stopping also. Really don't need to speed when hauling loads. We have a salt spreader on 1 of our CUCV M1028 trucks and it sits level loaded up level full on the spreader. Happy Holidays.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And hey that saw will cut them ties without a problem. And you could do it wearing a 3 piece suit and not get dirty.

And he doesn't even have to climb in the truck.

MarcusOReallyus

And hey that saw will cut them ties without a problem.
The problem with using a chain saw for RR ties is that gravel likes to hide here and there in surface cracks in the ties. Once you hit one, even with a carbide chain, you are pretty much done. Been there, done that.

Now I use a regular circular saw with a cheap carbide blade. Like, Harbor Freight quality. You can still keep cutting straight if you hit a rock, and they are cheap enough to throw away.

The problem is they don't cut all the way through, unless you have a 10" circular saw. The 7 1/4" saws leave a tenon in the middle, but that's easy to cut with a recip saw.

Much faster, much straighter, much less hassle, and much less expensive than using a chain saw.

We now return to our regularly scheduled discussion of CUCVs! :mrgreen:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The saw in the pic was about to be used to trim branches because a Hi-Cube shipping container was inbound.
That part of the ranch I'm kinda making my MV yard. Old pic since 40 tons of gravel has since been laid there.
I do NOT cut RR ties at all. Too hard on equipment. Yes a 5 ton in the background.

I drove almost an hour with that load. Truck did great.
Was very happy with how much brake I had.
Low end toque was better than I thought it would be.
Only time it showed the weight was on hills. Slowed it down a bit.
Temps were normal and stayed that way.
Very impressed overall with the CUCV.

She earns her keep every day and is just plain fun to drive.

FrankenCub

Well I really like what I'm reading about these CUCV's. I'm a born and bred Chevy guy anyway so it fits right in. The owner has a really whacked work schedule so I wont be able to check it out first hand until the 22nd. As long as the engine/tranny is as he states and the suspension/axles are good, I'll be good to go. Then we'll arrange a return trip to bring it home. I see no sense towing a trailer all that way and possibly find issues I don't like when my wife's Malibu is really good on gas.
I'll spend some time in the radio section too, if I bring it home I'll be wanting to put antenna/mounts on it to convert for HAM use.

FrankenCub

Man, the suspense is killing me! Four more days yet till I can check out that M1008, goin nuts here. On the plus side I've learned a lot more by the required reading here. As matter of fact, much of the reading has shown me why the truck's driver side is dented up. The dreaded forklift! Now I know to also check the tranny and tranny to t-case adapter for cracks. I can at least assume the driveshafts have been replaced as the the guys has been owned it for 5 years and states it drives good.
Gotta find something to occupy me until Thursday!

pa-m1008.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope it goes well. There is just so much info here for folks to digest, I'm glad that your time waiting has been used to tap it.

FrankenCub

Heh.

He's got the bug. :)
Yes, the bug is strong! Must..Not..Fight..it...lol

I hope it goes well. There is just so much info here for folks to digest, I'm glad that your time waiting has been used to tap it.
Yeah, it's amazing how much helpful information there is. It seems there isn't an issue or question that hasn't been encountered by someone. I've been reading all the old threads, just start picking back pages and reading any interesting threads. Stockpiling little bits of info as I go along and have a folder for the CUCV to save anything I think I may need in the future. My fingers are crossed that I don't find a deal breaker when looking over the truck. I've found a couple other trucks but they're too "white collar" for me. I think they're definitely worth the asking price, but unfortunately above my budget. Beautiful trucks though. There's also a couple others that may fit my needs and budget, but don't run. One was running but wouldn't restart, could be a simple fix but I wouldn't risk it for the price.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, the suspense is killing me! Four more days yet till I can check out that M1008, goin nuts here. On the plus side I've learned a lot more by the required reading here. As matter of fact, much of the reading has shown me why the truck's driver side is dented up. The dreaded forklift! Now I know to also check the tranny and tranny to t-case adapter for cracks. I can at least assume the driveshafts have been replaced as the the guys has been owned it for 5 years and states it drives good.
Gotta find something to occupy me until Thursday!

View attachment 658827 You must be finding these trucks south of you. They are few and far between up here in Otsego County and they want a lot more than 3K. If you pass on that one you'll have to hook me up to the owner.

FrankenCub

Yep, 2 hours south of me. I probably seen the ones you're talking about, 2 of them are actually pretty sweet but above my pay grade. I think one of them, Rochester area, belongs to a member here. IIRC. A M1028a1, love to have that one. The other one appears to be super clean.
There is another M1008 in Pa, I seen on CL but has been far too modified for my tastes, and is said to possibly need a head gasket.
I doubt I'll be passing on the one I'm looking at Thursday, I've talked to the owner quite a bit via text so I'm pretty confident in it being a good truck. I actually waiting on pictures of a few more M1008's that I know of for sale. As soon as I know more about them I'll pass it along to ya. One of them I already know is like $7k, the others $3-$4k.
I've been looking S. Jersey-Buffalo.

FrankenCub

Didn't get to check the truck out today. Owner text me yesterday saying it wouldn't start and sounded like the starter was going south, he would try to get a new one installed for Friday. Got a text today the new starter didn't fix the issue, he's thinking the starter relay may be baked. He's going to let me know as soon as he gets it straightened out. I don't know whether to beat my head on the wall or climb into a straight jacket! Not upset with the owner in the least, he's been great keeping me updated so I don't make a 2 hour drive to see a no start. I'm quite thankful he's being open instead of trying to dump it. But man, I needed a truck 2 weeks ago and now it's going to be at least another week before I can make the drive. Bad draw of luck for both of us :-/

cucvrus

I still have a running 1987 M1028 that you can drive home tomorrow. I am about 3 hours from Binghamton NY. I think Binghamton is in Broome County. Straight south I 81 exit 90 in Pennsylvania. Ready to go turn the key and start it up and be on your way. After you pay for it.

FrankenCub

:soapbox:
This is getting frustrating, ad after ad of trucks the won't start. Worse is what the ad says "runs great" "strong runner" then I call, oh no....it doesn't start .... auaauaauaaua
Called on another one today, a '28 thats rusty but ok with the price. Figured I can replace the cab......just drove it the other day but nope, won't start. I get the feeling he has no intentions on getting it to start either.
Been talking to a guy in Ohio, seems like a pretty good truck but the mileage is going to so hard on my back. At this point my standards are getting pretty low as long as the price is right. Oh yeah, and if I can fin done that RUNS!
:rant:

cucvrus

I still have a running 1987 M1028 that you can drive home tomorrow. I am about 3 hours from Binghamton NY. I think Binghamton is in Broome County. Straight south I 81 exit 90 in Pennsylvania. Ready to go turn the key and start it up and be on your way. After you pay for it.
Still here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks