• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

questions about blackout (convoy) lights

BigGriz86

hey everyone, im selling a guy the blackout lights off my M1009. I dont use them, and ill probly be replacing the bumpers anyway with trail units to hold a winch and a swing away spare tire. And this guy seems to be trying to create a "correct" and numbers matching CUCV. The previous owner destroyed the wiring harness in a sad attempt to install fog lights on the blackout light switch, so i have no idea if they work. I dont want to sell the guy inop parts, so i was wondering if there was a way to test them either by running 12 or 24 volts through them, or using a voltmeter to measure the ohm's across the light assemblies and look for a certain spec.

also, are these lights LED's?

thanks in advance for any help yall can offer.

acetomatoco

Just use a 12V source like a battery charger and test em like any other light. Black to ground and red to power. Or a couple jumper wires off your wifie's VW battery.

Bigmick

I'll prob get shot down in flames, but, as far as I know, and I did try taking 1 apart, they're a sealed unit, plastic box with a small circuit board inside, lights are LEDS, the whole thing sealed with some kind of silicon gunk. I suppose it is feaseable to replace them, carefully remove the back plate, unsolder the old and replace with new, then seal the whole thing with silicon. I gave up in the end and robbed, ahem, borrowed some off a scrap truck, due to the UK convoy light shortage.