• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about buying a deuce

jleasure

Hello to all. I am new to the site and to the whole MV areana. I have owned many diesel pickups, Jeeps, dune buggies, motorcycles, atv's, and tractors, but I have never owned any MV's.

I have decided that I would like to purchase an M35 of some sort. I have operated m35's in my military days to a limited extent. I have been watching the auctions and see that I can't tell much from the descriptions, specifically, I don't know what kind of engine is in the truck or if it is turbocharged. Is there an easy way for a layperson to tell much about the truck's engine, vintage, etc. from the photos? Are the engines vastly different from differing vintages of trucks or differing manufacturers?

Next, I intend to use the truck on a very limited basis for fun and to pull my light farm tractors around. I suspect that I would like to haul a limited amount of firewood and fill dirt make dump runs.

I am prone to like the sound of the "whistle" of the trucks, but am not sure that they all have that characteristic. My goal would be to get a truck that would perform reasonably well with it's stock engine arragnement and I expect that I would prefer a turbo model. Therefore, is there one model that is clearly better than others for performance and/or reliability?

I am also considering buying a truck from an individual that I know is in running condition that I could test out, rather than trying my hand at an auction. It seems likely that that is a less expensive alternative over the long run. However, I am pretty handy and not afraid to work on a truck.

In the end, I think my goal would be to get a truck with a hardtop and winch and equip it with super singles, lock-out hubs on the front, and have a way to easliy unlock one rear axle.

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments.

JB in Huntington, WV

mucekok

everything is for sale... for the right price. i actually had this truck for sale, but i want more than a reasonable amount of $ for it. stick to your idea of buying one that you can go look over and drive, that usually eliminates alot of unpleasant surprises. beware of the green iron disease... i am aware of no cure...

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned
ok,Here is a quicky....

INSPECT IN PERSON.
Running-can be perfect or it fires on one cylinder.
Not running-No batteries,no fuel,no oil,don't have a clue on how to push the kill handle in,flip the power switch,hit the starter button,missing parts or a hole the size your head in the side of the block.

As for engine.M35A2s all have the LD465 family of engines.Some are turbo some are non turbo.Look at the stack.Large stack is turbo small stack is non turbo.Also the non-turbo has a slip joint and the turbo has a V band half way up the stack you can usually see on the external picture.

Whistler has a thin exhaust housing with the exhaust nipple sticking out the middle.The non-whistler has a FAT housing with the nipple about flush with the side.

M35A3......Uhhhh,Electronic Cat engine,Auto trans,wide single tires,you can change the air pressure with a push of a button from the cab(if it works right) EXPENSIVE TO BUY!

jleasure

That pic looks great

Your truck looks like the poster child of what I have in my mind. How much was it listed for? Can you give me more infor on the specs? year, manufacturer, engine, etc?

jleasure

Thx for the info

Freight Train, thanks for the info. I wasn't even aware that there was an A3 variation. That sounds interesting, but the auto trans and the high price kills my interest.

I need to figure out which stacks are which so I can get some quick idea of the information about the truck from a photo.

You refered to 2 different turbos, is one notably better than the other for any reason?

KVFC_241

RE: Thx for the info

How far are you looking to travel to get one? Have a 1970 M35A2 w/w soft top about 400 miles from you. Its in the classifieds, $5500 obo. I'd be glad to let you come and drive it around.

mucekok

that truck is a 1969 Kaiser has a 1991 (not reman) continental multifuel with the whistler turbo, 395/85R20 michelins on 20x10 double beadlock wheels, winch, hardtop, nice comfy chevrolet seats, also has the matching vinyl cargo cover. had it listed for about $12k. like i said, more than reasonable. but thats what i wanted for it.

FreightTrain

Banned

Not really,The Non whistler produces a little more boost than the whistler but the only reason they changed to the Non was to quite them down some.If you look real close at his truck you can see the V Band I was talking about.The non turbo has a standard Guillotine clamp holding the slip joint together(and you can't see it cause it is hidden behind the heat shield.That is another thing to look for.The heat shield on a non turbo is larger than a turbo.

Oh,little more info...

M35 Gasoline engine,5 Speed Direct drive final
M35A1 427 Multifuel engine,5 speed Overdrive(Difficult to find parts for the engine)
M35A2 LD465(LDS for turbo ain't it guys?) multifuel engine,5 speed overdrive final(Most common truck)
M35A2C same as above but drop side bed
M36A2 Same as a M35A2 but with a REALLY long frame and bed.One bedside drops down like the A2C.harder to find.

Those are the normal Deuce and a half Cargo trucks.Then you have the
M49 Fuel tanker deuce
M50 water tanker deuce
M109 Van deuce(think U-haul truck but used to house electronic,repair shops,High ranked officals Military RV,etc)
M275 Deuce Tractor(semi)
plus several other variants.

FreightTrain

Banned

oh,if your ever down towards bama,Wreckerman on here has a bunch for sale.We just ain't gone to pick them up yet.GL is holding them hostage right now.If I remember right,4 non winch trucks.2 are hard top.All turbo(we don't know what flavor yet),plus the winch truck with hard top and non whistler turbo.Singled out rear,S280 shelter in the bed,Redneck gun turret in the hard top.He comes into the chat room about every night around 8PM Central time.He ain't asking much for the non winch trucks.

FreightTrain

Banned

On a turbo truck the Stack has a Vband clamp about half way up.As for telling the turbos.The rear housing is wider on a D than a C.The C is the screamer.

houdel

The "C" turbo is called the "Whistler" because of its VERY loud and distinctive turbo whine. The "D" turbo is quiet. The exhaust side of the "C" turbo tapers from bottom to top, somewhat resembling a snail shell, while the exhaust side of the "D" turbo is noticeably wider and does not taper. See the following pictures.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks