• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions About CARC Basics

Tance

Hi, I recently purchased an 84 Chevy 5/4 ton diesel dually 4x4 that I plan to restore. I'd like to paint it inside and out but I'm not real clear on some aspects of CARC. The following are the basics as I understand them, please correct me if I'm wrong...

Preparation - Use a respirator and sand as in normal bodywork, OK to use bondo etc.

Priming - OK to spray automotive primer directly over sanded/prepared CARC.

Painting - OK to spray any automotive enamel directly over prepared and primed CARC, use of hardeners OK.

Correct? Thanks for your input.

Jones

CARC dust and fumes are NOT friendly. No sanding, grinding, burning or welding on CARC coated surfaces without proper respirator protection and a way to catch and contain the dust. In the motor pool we'd wire brush the vehicle to get rid of loose and flaking CARC, prime areas that are down to bare metal, pressure wash the entire rig, let thoroughly dry and start spraying.

One part CARC is simpler to use since you don't have to mix part A with it's companion part B. The down side of one part CARC is that moisture is the trigger; this can be the moisture in the air, the moisture in your throat and lungs, sweat droplets as you lean over the can, etc... get the picture?
Have the cans shaken up on a paint shaker because once the can is opened; the reaction starts. Stirring will fold air into the paint in the can accelerating the process.

CARC is basically a polyurethane with lots of heavy solids; so polyurethane rules apply.

There are some CARC data sheets in the Tech Library to fill you in on how to shoot and handle CARC.

Welcome to the site.

boomer

I have an opposite situation. I am helping a buddy who has a truck with CARC paint on it. He want's to paint it OD. What about the (jelled/jelly) paint striper, for the CARC paint? Yes? No? Just do as Jones mentions; wire brush, and paint over it. Using that as a primer?
Any thoughts, ideas and/or comments are welcome.
Boomer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks