• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

questions about flipping the rear hubs

CliffW

Ok I have a few questions about flipping the rear hubs. I will be doing this soon to put on super singles from mike at OD Iron, Has anyone taken any photos of this as they were doing it? What does this entail? Should I replace any or all the seals? I did a search and did not come up with anything so if this has been covered I apologize. Thanks for any and all help.
Cliff

chevycrew

I would replace all the seals, and the little cork (or use silcone).
It is really really simple and you cant mess it up.

I have mine apart ready to go back together right now (hub flip)

If you want pics of anything let me know.

chevycrew

Dont worry I did a little.....

I pounded out the studs and started pounding them back in the same way.... took till the 4th one to notice.

On the front since the axle is in backwards, when I flipped the knuckles, repacked bearings and new seals....I forgot to switch sides for the hubs, so the left handed lugs are on the wrong side.

Oh well we all make mistakes....

CliffW

chevycrew,

Now that I see how it is done, it makes all the since to change all the seal while I got it apart. Thanks for the link lot of good pic’s and info.

Thanks cliff

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly Cliff, I wouldn't flip them just yet. The OD Iron wheels are designed similarly to the 5 ton spuer singles. The wheels are reversible and the offset is such that if you put the back wheels on with the dish out and the hubs unflipped, they will line right up with the fronts. Check out a 5 ton pic and see. I like the looks of the dish out on the rears myself.

67Cougar

Just a reminder. After you flip the hubs, make sure that you double check the tightness of your lug nuts after you drive it a few miles. If you don't get the studs seated perfectly they can loosen up a little. And remeber to lift with your legs! The hubs are a little heavy, just like everything esle on our trucks ! ! ! !

Have fun!

JEFF

sermis

If you flip the hubs and have the extra money then replace the seals. I flipped mine and kept the original seals and used silicone in the grove. None have leaked yet. 3 years now. I do have a wheel cylinder leaking on one that need attention. I am running modified deuce rims with 3” added to the outside and 395 tires.

TenTires

Honestly Cliff, I wouldn't flip them just yet. The OD Iron wheels are designed similarly to the 5 ton spuer singles. The wheels are reversible and the offset is such that if you put the back wheels on with the dish out and the hubs unflipped, they will line right up with the fronts. Check out a 5 ton pic and see. I like the looks of the dish out on the rears myself.
I was thinking of going with the OD Iron wheels but I cant find them on the site. Any help or pics?

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to call or e-mail him, he doesn't list them on his site...trust me I searched a long time :-D. I've got a couple sets on order with him right now.

dreadneck

once you have the duals off its actually a lot easier to do than it sounds once you get into it. it only took me about 2.5 hrs to do one axle. the hardest part was resafetying the bolts once you got the hub flipped and reinstalled on the drum. its so simple to do, i don't see why you should have any reason to hokey it instead of doing it the right way.

charlietango

ok fella's I have a question. I am about to the point of putting mine back together and started looking at the parts. what wheel nuts do you guys use? do you buy more of the front style or do you just cut the dually pair down.

saddamsnightmare

:driver:March 7th, 2010.

:?! Why would one mess with the front wheel hubs at all when flipping the rears???? I was under the impression the reason that most of us flip the rears in super singling them, is to get the front wheel and rear wheel tracks to line up???? Did I miss something here? I know that on my stock M35A2 the split between the rear duals line up with the normal track on the fronts, hence the truck is always fighting itself in mud or snow trying to get a track for the rears to follow..... On really badly worn asphalt roads neither the front tracks or the rears line up with the grooves worn by stock civillian trucks in the pavements, so she is not a generally happy road truck. Everything else is tight, front and rear, and on unworn pavement the deuce is a charm to drive. Also, GET the cork wedges, silicone isn't the approved method of sealing the keyways according to Uncle's TM's....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:D

charlietango

yea you missed something Kyle but its all good. I will re-explain

I am singling out the rears but now I am left with the BUDD cap & nut style fasteners (the 2 piece ones that were originally holding the dual's on).. so my question is do I buy wheel nuts that match the front wheel nuts? or can I re-use those BUDD's somehow.

thanks for the advice on the corks btw...

Davin

Attachments

Last edited:

baxter

Just singled my truck and reused the buds for now they will work fine just look a little wierd. I am going to get new nuts soon I need to order several things so I'm going to make one order instead of several.

jblack6527

You can use the ones from the rear, just use the stud things. If you want all the wheels to have the same kind of fastener, buy some more like the front.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks