• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about painting M101A3 with Bedliner

bob95065

I have a M101A3 that I bought last summer to haul firewood. I store it in a carport so it is out of the weather but I see the paint flaking off in sections both inside and outside the bed. I would like to paint the inside of the bed with bedliner to protect it.

I read on this forum that the CARC paint should be handled with care if you were to remove it from the trailer. Is it harmful to your health? I want to get the paint off the trailer because I am afraid it will flake off and take the bedliner with it.

Has anyone else done this? What brand bedliner did you use?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard of a few 101A3's which had flaking problems (bad primer). As for CARC wear a paint respirtator when grinding on it, you'll be fine.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I have just finished repainting my M101A3. It is a 2003 VSE rebuild. You are right the paint does seem to flake a lot. The white primer seems to be sort of like a chalk substance. And it also seems like to me that it absorbs moisture. I did my regular sand and feather the flake spots and then primed and painted. On some of the spots the primer started to lift the feathered area again. To my way of thinking that style white primer is not a very good product.

I also did the bad style CARC test by using some acetone to see if the paint would rub off. It did so it must be the newer water base type of paint. As the bad type CARC will not rub off.

Anyway I think if you were to use a good bed liner over the white style primer it might not last long. Were it me I would take the inside of the box down to bare metal and reprime and go from there.

bob95065

I have the whit chalky primer under the paint. I'll try the acetone test to see if I have water based paint.

Because I had the white chalky primer I knew I had to take the trailer down to bare metal and start over. I didn't want to inhale paint dust that could hurt me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks