• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about removing deuce wheels

zeisshensoldt

What are the best ways of removing the wheels on a deuce? I'm thinking of either going with a pneumatic impact wrench or a breaker bar type of setup. Will the impact wrench be able to run off the deuces emergency air with a 3/8 fitting? Also, What size/type sockets will be needed for lug removal?

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually both setups would be advisable, just in case the impact went 'South'...

You can go by HF and pick up one of their 1" impacts with a set of impact sockets at the same time. If you are going to use an impact off of the truck compressor, I would also pick up a 10 gallon tank and use it as an "air receiver". Use 1/4" hose from the gladhand to the air receiver and 1/2" hose to the impact, you need the volume for the impact, don't think 3/8" will be enough. You will need a budd nut socket and a 1 1/2" socket for the wheels.

Don't forget JACKSTANDS! You know the old saying, 'safety first'!

Last edited:

zeisshensoldt

I think I'll try the breaker bar first, and all I'll need for that is a 1 1/2" budd socket? Also, could a 1/2 impact suffice?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to read the TM(-20) as well. By now, you do have them downloaded to your laptop or your mobile devices, right? It tells you how to change a tire. (don't assume you know everything you need to know)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy a budd socket, Harbor Freight 3/4" socket set and a 5' piece of pipe that fits over the ratchet handle. 8-12 ton bottle jack.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A budd socket is just that, a budd socket. You will need that for the budd nuts holding the inside tires on. You will also need a 1 1/2" socket to get the outter rear tires and front tires off. The budd nuts are square drive.
Not quite. They do both.

Truckoholic

Here is a pic of a budd wrench/socket. It has 1 1/2 on one end, and the square socket on the other for the inner lugs.
wheel-wrench.jpg

If you have a flat on the inside, you will be there a VERY long time if doing it by hand with one of these setups! The half inch impact gun would be a very nice thing to have in addition to a budd wrench like this. The half inch impact gun will not be able to break the lugs loose in most cases and will not tighten them enough when you go to put the wheels back on, but it sure will speed up the process by allowing you to zip the lugs on and off much faster once you get them broke loose with the budd wrench and bar. The lug setup is exactly the same on my logging truck (with my logging truck having 10 inner and outer lugs instead of 6), and I have been there MANY times having to change an inside flat by hand on the side of the road with nothing but a bud socket and my cheater pipe. Now I carry a 3/4 inch impact gun that I run off of the air on the truck, and it works quite well. It is a good compromise between a massive 1 inch gun, and a tiny half inch. It has the power to break the lugs loose most of the time, but for the times it does not, I always ALSO carry the budd socket and my cheater pipe to break loose the stubborn lugs.

Last edited:

zeisshensoldt

Is it possible and or safe to tighten the lugs by hand or is the impact wrench absolutely necessary for that?

KsM715

Since this sounds like your first time removing the wheels remember the driver side is left hand threads. (righty loosey).

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Here is a pic of a budd wrench/socket. It has 1 1/2 on one end, and the square socket on the other for the inner lugs.
Here is a picture of a Budd Socket....what you had pictured was the Basic Issue Item (BII) lug wrench and handle.

Removing frozen lug nuts with that POS is an exercise in frustration.

I have a BIG one inch impact gun that I use for lug nuts and even it would not take the lug nuts off of one of my M915's....it took the "Blue Flame Speed Wrench" to heat them up enough to spin them off.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(don't assume you know everything you need to know)
Yea, there's one little bit of info that will give you fits on the drivers side if you haven't read the TM or are familiar with changing tires on big trucks. ;-)

After you change a couple of tires with a breaker bar, you'll want a impact real bad. Removing all the tires on a deuce is murder with a breaker bar.

fasttruck

A 3/4" breaker bar with a cheater pipe should generate enough torque to tighten the nuts. A torque wrench is the most reliable way to insure enough and even torque on all six lugs. If you do not have the dual path budd socket a 1 1/2" and 13/16" square socket will suffice. I recommend 3/4" or 1" drive for wheel work.

Attachments

Cletus09

You should be able to get them tighter by hand. Personally, I would prefer to hand tighten them... just my two cents

Last edited:

emr

I mean this with all good intentions, if U do not know how to change a tire on a big truck, U may want to read the TMs first before doing anything, If there is a SS guy near U , SS guys are the most helpful around, U may want to ask for one to stop by and show U a few things, For sure this is a very very good idea for U and "any new guys, we were all new once no matter how young or old we started , so ask and take the help... And buy an inexpensive 3/4 drive socket set asap. with a breaker and ratchet , The breaker will take the pipe U need to breakem loose, REMEMBER always pull to the rear no matter what side of the truck U are on to break lugs loose... Good Luck...

Truckoholic

REMEMBER always pull to the rear no matter what side of the truck U are on to break lugs loose... Good Luck...
That is a good way to remember! I've always just remembered by "right is right" as in if the lugs are on the right side of the truck, you tighten them to the right, or clockwise. I had a truck one time, that some moron had replaced a couple of the studs on the right side, with left hand studs and left hand lug nuts. Used to cause all kinds of confusion when I'd go to the tire shop to have tire work done.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember correctly the TMs torque spec for the buds and the 11/2 outer nuts is around 400 ft pounds depending on what you haul this may or may not be necessary, I never haul anything in my deuce over say 3000 pounds, I may take some heat for saying this but I have never tightened mine over 250 ft pounds and over the last 4 years of owning Deuces have never had a problem what so ever. I use a 3/4 breaker bar with a 4 ft handle and have never had to even put a cheater bar on it taking them off or putting them on, I cannot say its fun especially on the 5 ton but I am to cheap to spend 800$ on a decent impact!
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks