• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

questions about the m- 54

78chevy

i just bought a 5 ton m-54 and wanted to see how common the drivetrain i have was? Mine has the continental 602 and has an airshift case and everything pretty much works but the brakes. I bought it for the axles but after getting it fired up and driving it around all day i cant bring myself to scrap the rest. The motor runs great!! it shifts great also. How common are the 602 gas motors and is a good running one worth . How about the trans and tcase.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ehh, not alot. The gassers are rated at 2mpg. They are common if your looking, sometimes even if your not.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it is worth keeping whole. The axles are the same on 5 tons from 1950 to the end of the 800 series (250 Cummins) production in the late 70's. The 6602 trucks are getting hard to find as nobody wants to use them because of the fuel economy issue. But there are collector types out here (like me) who would like to have one regardless.

Thanks for posting the pics and welcome to the site.

vtdeucedriver

Yep, dont scrap it. There are farther worse 5 tons for axles. Find a bed and put it on her, sell it to a collector or work her. Yes the 6602 is a gas hog but a great engine!!!

Westech

CPL
you sure it has a air shift case? I think you mean a sprag. The 5 ton case has a air valve that clunks in 1st and Reverce but its not a true air shift like a deuce.

78chevy

could very well be a sprag case with air shift for reverse and forward. I have a 2.5 sprag case in my bogger and welded the sprags all up and flipped them and ground off some teeth so i could run 2 wheel still.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Date of delivery 1963. That would be right before the multifuels came out. Gotta love a Diamond T.