• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions and parts I saw today

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I understand the HOW of flipping the hubs but I'm not to clear on the WHY of flipping the hubs. I picked up four six lug budd wheels with brand new Michelin XDY1 retreads on them - 275 80R 22.5 - and I was asked why not just remove both NDCC wheels/tires and just bolt up the the new wheels/tires to the outside?? I couldn't explain it, so apparently I don't understand it.

From there, I went to Active Truck Parts and saw several six lug budd wheels. I will be picking up four of them. He wants $75 per wheel, no rubber.

I saw TWO five tons in various stages of being stripped. They both appeared to still have their engines, though lots had been stripped from both.

ONE actually had two winches. The front one even had the pulley still mounted and the cable and chain still attached to the front bumper.

The rear winch had already been removed, but appear to have all the parts there. They were asking $500 each.

There was an exhaust manifold with a turbo still attached. I forgot how much.

There was one fuel tank that appeared to be in good shape, still attached to the truck. BUT no pump or other 'guts'. He said $200 for the fuel tank.

One of the trucks had a 'tool box'. The type you normally see on a tractor, which it MAY have been at one time, but both rear axles are missing, so it's hard to say. He said "$50 - $75" for the tool box.

SO, are these prices OK? Too high? Too low?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the hub flip: Reason #1...They will not track properly if not mounted dish in on an outer-facing flange. Reason #2...TACOM had Timkin design the drive train way back in the '50 to allow mechanics to easily achieve proper placement for either singles or duals. Reason #3...It looks really dorky if you don't do it right.

Again I say the ONLY reason the military had so many dual-wheeled tacticals is they spent most of their time on pavement. In every test, in any year, singles did much better off-road and thru bad hard road conditions.

On the prices, I'd go $50 for the tool box if it is one of the vertical types.

dg

M1075

Wallew-

The purpose of flipping the rear hubs is to have the same overall axle length (WMS to WMS) front and rear. You don't have to flip the hubs to run singles, but the tracks will be different (wider in the back). Also, flipping your hubs allows you to run all of your rims the same way (not much of an issue on stock rims) but looks a little better with super single beadlocks.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rdixiemiller,
I've been talking with a guy on ebay who is parting out several trucks. I think someone here listed a radiator he's selling.

ANYWAY, he has three fuel tanks, two of which are currently on running trucks. He wanted me to 'make him an offer' for one of those.

So if $50 is a fair offer for a stripped, cleaned fuel tank, HOW MUCH would a fuel tank be worth that has everything it should have and is still functioning?

I gotta pay shipping & handling, but that's my problem. Would $200 or less be a fair price for one of those tanks?

thx in advance. jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks