• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions on a M1101 trailer

12vman

just bought a tan M1101 and was wondering what are going to be the differences in rigging up the bulbs and lights as compared to the usual trailers I deal w/ such as the M101A1 and the M101A2. I usually tie in a 4 pin at the junction box on the trailer tongue brace but it doesn't look like the box is in the same place?....the actual lights look the same so I was just wondering.....Also what are the pro and cons and value of the Humvee run flats that are on it? It looks like an 8 lug so can they be changed out for smaller wheel/tires? It also looks like the surge brake is locked out w/ a pin that looks military issue Any other advice would be appreciated......thanks!!!!..........also where can I get the tan paint at???

Last edited:

3dAngus

I cannot answer all your questions, but some.
The surge brakes on the M1101/1102 are high failure items.
The tires can be switched out with civilian GMC 8 lug off a 2500 or 3500 pickup.
It will lower the back end 2.5" in doing so. Not much, but every bit helps and braking will become easier when leveled out.
The brake lines should be the same numerics. You should not have an issue with tying in to them.
Tires from the HMMWVs are tall and need be inflated. The military inflated them for all purpose events, especially off road, which is the HMMWV specialty. Be sure to air them up to around 30 pounds as soon as you get the trailer or you will get a lot of bounce. Most of these have about 12-14 pounds of air in them when you recover them and they are more like large balloons. They need to be more firm when hitting the highway. I believe the military uses about 17 pounds in them in most cases. And I believe you can inflate them to a maximum of 50 pounds. Don't do it!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
No junction box but the same connections are on top of a frame member under the bed.

12vman

also does anybody know the easiest way to get tan paint off a black tire? w/o using black spray paint?

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I cannot answer all your questions, but some.
The surge brakes on the M1101/1102 are high failure items.
The tires can be switched out with civilian GMC 8 lug off a 2500 or 3500 pickup.
It will lower the back end 2.5" in doing so. Not much, but every bit helps and braking will become easier when leveled out.
The brake lines should be the same numerics. You should not have an issue with tying in to them.
Tires from the HMMWVs are tall and need be inflated. The military inflated them for all purpose events, especially off road, which is the HMMWV specialty. Be sure to air them up to around 30 pounds as soon as you get the trailer or you will get a lot of bounce. Most of these have about 12-14 pounds of air in them when you recover them and they are more like large balloons. They need to be more firm when hitting the highway. I believe the military uses about 17 pounds in them in most cases. And I believe you can inflate them to a maximum of 50 pounds. Don't do it!
Why do you say not to inflate them to 50psi? I ran them at 50 on my Tampa trip, loaded heavy on the way down doing 60mph the whole way, and doing 75mph empty on the way home.

3dAngus

These are predominantly intended for use as off road tires. They leak a lot. If they leak down far enough, the runflats take over and will damage the tire. You might not know this without inspecting from the inside. That's why you see about a million tons of them at GL in the scrapyards. The problem is, the seals on the two piece rims. The tires should be taken apart and inspected if you want to max them out on speed or pressure. High speed seems to be as much an issue as heavy loads. Civilians use them at higher speeds then the military.
The tech manual offers this as preventive maintenance.
"O-ring sealing surfaces and pressure relief grooves must be kept clean and free of rust and dirt. Failure to
do so could cause the wheel assembly to separate under pressure, causing serious injury or death."

Oops, I didn't copy it all, sorry. There is more on proper maintenance, care, and warnings of these tires in the tech manual, including inspection of the sidewalls and damage as a result of running the runflats, as well as a number of articles on them and hazards of leaks being established when using the high end of 50psi. We just don't really know all the issues of these withtout breaking them completely down and inspecting so I would not recommend running up the cold air pressure to the max, knowing at high speed they will rise even further, and put drivers and passenger at risk with the unknown issues. That's why I would say, don't do it.

No one needs 50 psi in these tires on a M1101/1102 trailer with the comparatively light load vs a HMMWV loaded. 35-40 is fine.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
So, I guess I just lucked out then. I put 50 because I figured I was at or over the rated load capacity of the trailer. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be more mindful next time.

3dAngus

We're not mind readers. Put up a pic.

Probably a rear landing leg but have to see it first.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks