• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions on my new toys-M211 & M135

goodfellaelvin

Hi SS folks. I have been a member for 5months and i have been searching for a deuce for 5years. The last 4years i always managed to loss the buy for the truck. Not my fault..... This last year i have been out of the game but still had my ear and eyes out for a treasure i could get. A few months ago i came across a ad for a few trucks for sale. I called and spoke to a great kindhearted older man. We spoke back and forth for a few weeks and came to a agreement. Earlier this month i took a drive over to his home and we went through the deuces he had. After having a very long conversation we came to a agreement. I bought a 1950's Gmc M211 and a Gmc M135.
Now comes the questions, i have. My first question is the M211 and M135 only were made for 5 years, did the engines differ from year to year within those 5 years? The M211 i bought runs and drives but hasn't run well over 6-8 years now. I also bought a M135 but that one doesn't run or drive. I have no idea if the engine in the M135 can even be rebuilt. Second question is should i rebuild the M211's engine and put it back in or should i rebuild and put it into the M135? If i do put it into the M135 i can then put a more powerful engine into the M211. I was thinking of putting a 465-Lds Multifuel engine into the M211 and convert what else it might need. What do you guys think? If not the 465 maybe a gas type engine, something that can produce over 200-250 horses? What do you guys think? Let me now within the next few weeks before i do get the trucks to bring them home. That's another thing i haven't got any idea how that is going to happen. Will take and appreciate any help from anyone. Let me now folks..... to be continued..............

wdbtchr

I not expert on either truck although I have driven an M211 many,many years ago. Just guessing from the physical aspects, I can't imagine shoehorning a Multifuel engine into either truck. I know you are going to hear this a lot, but searching is the best way to find out what you need to know. The trick to searching this forum is inserting the work "and" between each word in the search box. I didn't know this at first and never got results of my searches. For example try: M211 and engine and swap Brings up all kind of good things, try it you'll like it!:beer:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engines in your 211 and 135 are identical, and were for the entire production run. Any engine can be rebuilt, it just may not make economic sense. I would do a major tune-up before I would overhaul anything. Check compression, valve adjustment, etc. Both engines will likely run fine. Now the transmissions are another matter. The LDT 465 engines are too long to fit where the 302 used to live. A GM V-8 such as a 366 with Allison out of a school bus makes a nice easy swap, but mileage will be just as bad as the 302 (4 mpg). There are numerous threads on SS about these swaps and the results. I have the stock 302 engine in my 135 and it does just fine in my opinion. I run it at 55 mph all the time.

Gunfreak25

I have already considered the swap, a Multifuel will not fit without some hefty modifications to the firewall. You'd have to put a "box" inside the middle of the cab to act as an engine cover, similar to the old cab over trucks and vans. Even then, the shifter would be darn near at the back of the cab. You'd have to remove the passenger seat and replace it with a single narrower seat. The clutch would also be in a pretty awkward place unless you know how to fabricate stuff. Stick with the 302, they are tough to kill and yours likely just needs a little lookin over from sitting so long.

Come to think of it, there's a picture on the net somewhere of a prototype GMC with a LDT 465 powerplant in it. I believe the radiator was moved over a foot forward and the front end was modified with additional sheet steel to cover the extension up.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any modification will be a tremendous amount of work. The results questionable. Most modifications like that are never completed, because of time and money. The engines are the same and can be re-built! Tune ups must include valve adjustments to the solid lifters.

Good luck Lee

wdbtchr

Just thinking out loud, but I was thinkin' if the 302s are beyond repair and I couldn't find a replacement I'd think about dropping in a small block Chevy. If you want to go diesel how about a 6.2 or 6.5?:drool:

nattieleather

First you truck looks very familiar to me can you post a bigger picture of your avitar? I just might be my old one. I could tell by a bigger picture.

Second. I would go over the motors. Change the oil, new plugs, points etc. Clean the carbs and check the fuel and filter etc. Do as was discribed above and make sure the valves are seated properly etc. I agree with what was posted above with some tlc both motors will probably run fine. They are harty motors. The only thing with the 302 is not if you will develop an exhust leak but when. When I had mine I met a guy with a Canadian M211 and his truck ran smooth and quiet and I asked him his seceret and he said I change the exhust manifold gasket once a year whether it needs it or not. Not sure if he was telling the truth, but I got a chuckle out of that.

As for swapping the motor. 6.2 or 6.5 GM Diesel will work as well as big block GM V8s. I've given thought to the 8.2l GM Diesel you find in the bigger GM work trucks. But with any swap if you swap the transmission out you loose low range.

Good luck with your truck!

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goodfella, as others have said, keeping the engines is your course of least action.

My contribution to the idea is to suggest you take your time and don't force the engines, especially if they are stuck. remove the plugs and squirt some penetrating oil or ATF into the cylinders and allow the oil to sit a few weeks before trying to rock the crank with a breaker bar.

I have seen a few engines make a full recovery after being stuck from sitting and let me tell you, it is a rewarding experience!

Good luck with yours and yes, photos are mandatory.

Rick

Gunfreak25

I believe the truck in the photo belongs to Bobby Joe Pendleton. Are you him? :lol: I have that very image for the background on my screen. The truck hs equipped with all sorts of original goodies. Even an REB shift kit on the side of the shift tower.

Attachments

nattieleather

No... that's not it...sigh. But mine was very similare cept I had shorten the west cost mirrors so they didn't look like elephant ears. I also had done the upgrade to the turn signals though my winch was missing. I just thought my old truck had popped up... :)

goodfellaelvin

Yes folks.......the truck in my avatar is not my truck. It is a picture i acquired online. I am sorry if anyone was offended because of it. The picture is a representation of what kind of truck i acquired and what i want it to look like in the future. The truck is a very rough imitation of my avatar down to the color and stencils on it. Thanks for all the information that was posted. It gives me a few ideas of what i want to do versus what is possible to do. Thanks, to be continued........

robert c neth

Banned
i have owned many m211s and even after sitting 10 or more years the engines have always ran .out of the 12 i have owned only 5 had good trannies and 4 of those were converted to ww2 5 speeds and t cases .good luck on your trucks hope all works out for you.

goodfellaelvin

Thanks Robert for the hopefulness you have for my situation. The Gmc was not my first choice ,but the truck was on my list and has a great big nose that makes it a impressive vehicle in history. Robert you mentioned converting(trannies and 4 of those were converted to ww2-5 speeds and t cases), Does that mean it is possible to make a M211auto into 5speed? If yes, does that mean the engine will stay and the tranny is converted to a 5speed and the t case also is replaced? I adore 5 speeds but i am very worried about changing the originality of the Gmc's M211 or the M135. I can't say i won't change it, or i will change it, but i haven't gotten the trucks back home yet to do a full complete check of the 2 trucks. I do know one was still in working condition when it was parked to rot. I hate people who let our glorious history rot and whether away. Any way the second truck has almost no history known to it by the seller. I am going to start a thread on them when i get them home. To all who share my passion for all military, Keep up the love and protection of our way of life. To you Robert, thank you again and may god protect you and your family. Sincerely Goodfellaelvin

Stan Leschert

Welcome to the club. Once you learn the tranny, and replace that exhaust gasket annually.... as for which truck to do... do you like single or duals? Long flat bed, or lower riding bed with wheel wells.... me, I like the 211 better. Either way you go, that old 302 is just rock solid and soldier proof!

And now... you know it had to be said....nopics

goodfellaelvin

To NattieLeather----I guess your truck must of been great looking like the one in the avatar picture. That is actually what i want my truck to look like. I am at the beginning and yet have not started to work on them. I mean my two deuces. Sorry again, thanks.

goodfellaelvin

Thanks Stan. Well i got both so,both are going to be fixed, but you are right. I have to pick but i know which i like better. M211 is my favorite of the two but when i get them home in a few weeks i don't know if i should use the 302 that works in one of them. Then i could put a bigger engine in the other. I know one engine runs but the second is up in the air. Same for the tranny. My Favorite deuce is Am General M35A2 which also is a standard. I really wanted a stick but i am not going to complain about it. I also heard that it is possible to put a 5speed in the M135 and M211 with a WWII Gmc 5Speed and the transfer case. I don't know if it is possible ,but i am keeping it in mind. The engine was my main question but, i am up in the air on what to do and which truck to fix first. My space to accomplish this is getting smaller with time.

Now the big ???????????? - I have not posted any pictures yet because the trucks are not home with me yet. I am in the middle of that situation as we speak. I also need to come up with some names for them before they come home. I am going to post every picture i take of the deuces. So to be continued.......

Thank you my fellow SS and also to you Stan,

and to everyone who shares my passion.

nattieleather

Mine looked good like that from a distance less the white star. I didn't have a star on mine. That's why I thought maybe 10 years later that someone had gotten it and put a star on it and the winch. When I sold mine it had gone to a guy who ran a paint ball place. He was going to use it to take guys to the field to shoot at each other... :)

Now you need to get your trucks home and get them running.... :)

goodfellaelvin

Sorry to hear you sold your deuce. I know how you feel, and now that i bought two new deuces i really miss them and it is only been 3 weeks since i have seen them. Your right about getting the deuces home and start working hard on them. I should say "start getting into gear." I have two deuces and until the day i bring them i will post pictures as soon as
i take them. I will post the pictures as soon as i start working and then i will post them on a new thread about the deuces. What can i say i have a deep passion for this culture. So all i can say is To be Continued---------------------------------

Thank You All.......

To Robert C Neth------You said (4 of those were converted to ww2 5 speeds and t cases)--
Can i drop a WWII 5speed and transfer case in a Gmc M135 and M211 which have automatics for their trannies. If yes, is that all that is needed or is there some thing else that is also needed to make this work? Let me know as soon as you can. Thank You