• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions on newly acquired MEP-802a

Liberty 2701

Hello,
This is my first post. I recently won an auction on a MEP-802a with 90 hours from Gov planet. The winning bid was $2600. Upon reviewing the paperwork that it came with from the army it had me concerned. On the red label it says 'Unserviceable, does not meet repair criteria". There is nothing missing on the generator. It appears in excellent condition. All the filters had a service date of 2019 written on them. Inside the oil fill cap looks brand new. I installed batteries, changed oil and antifreeze. It started right up. I ran it at 75% to 100% load for one hour with out a problem except the hour meter did not turn. I also had to add 4 clamps to two pieces of short fuel line that were leaking. In one of the pictures there are hoses in the compartment, what are they for? Am I missing something that the army deemed it unserviceable?

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello,
This is my first post. I recently won an auction on a MEP-802a with 90 hours from Gov planet. The winning bid was $2600. Upon reviewing the paperwork that it came with from the army it had me concerned. On the red label it says 'Unserviceable, does not meet repair criteria". There is nothing missing on the generator. It appears in excellent condition. All the filters had a service date of 2019 written on them. Inside the oil fill cap looks brand new. I installed batteries, changed oil and antifreeze. It started right up. I ran it at 75% to 100% load for one hour with out a problem except the hour meter did not turn. I also had to add 4 clamps to two pieces of short fuel line that were leaking. In one of the pictures there are hoses in the compartment, what are they for? Am I missing something that the army deemed it unserviceable?
Hello and Welcome to the Outfit!

I have to step up and tell you now that I am not the generator guy... I am slowly learning and getting smarter all the time with the tutelage of several members here. Best way for you to get started is to download the (free) Technical Manuals (TM's) here on the site. There is troubleshooting as well as general operating instructions. Books will make your brain tired - but most of the answers you need will be there.

Army's version of unservicable means that they are getting a new one... Or more likely, they don't have parts in the cage(s) to repair it if it breaks.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
OK,

Take a deep breath. I think you have a super looking gen set. Only thing I saw missing, on my 5 second look is fan guards, unless you took them off.

The hoses are for Auxiliary fuel. meaning if you want to import fuel from another source for extended operation.

The best thing you can do now, is follow Mullaney's suggestion, and at least read the operators TM and scan through the others. But the operators TM will answer lots of your questions.

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks better in the paperwork history file to surplus a "not serviceable" unit rather than an "almost new" unit. The paperwork justification stays in the file (and is subject to audit) long after the generator has been sold.

Liberty 2701

OK,

Take a deep breath. I think you have a super looking gen set. Only thing I saw missing, on my 5 second look is fan guards, unless you took them off.

The hoses are for Auxiliary fuel. meaning if you want to import fuel from another source for extended operation.

The best thing you can do now, is follow Mullaney's suggestion, and at least read the operators TM and scan through the others. But the operators TM will answer lots of your questions.
Yes I removed the fan guards.

Guyfang

Staff member
The Red Tag. The military is trying to get red of all the older gen set. There is something called MEL. Maintenance Expenditure Limit. Right now, a unit is only allowed to spend on a repair of a gen set, up to 45% of the original cost of a generator. So if a unit declares the repair cost to exceed the MEL, then the gen set is turned in for disposal or Reutilization. So no, you have not missed anything.

Guyfang

Staff member
It looks better in the paperwork history file to surplus a "not serviceable" unit rather than an "almost new" unit. The paperwork justification stays in the file (and is subject to audit) long after the generator has been sold.
Never heard that there was any paperwork kept longer then a year, and that would only be if there was an accident. That red tag was all the justification needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks