• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions on Removing Transmission

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
what you say is correct, but we don't know that the shaft was contacting the retainer, at least i don't see where it is stated. also consider that many people new to transmissions don't know things so when the shaft moves any at all they may think wow that is a lot.

just for the record, with a new correct bearing the front of the shaft moves only 1/8" side to side. measured on a new transmission with no retainer and bearing firmly clamped in place.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have things all cleaned up and ready to start the rebuild, But I have a 2nd take transmission that I am going to put in to get the truck back on line. Then I will repair the old transmission.
The input shift on the 2nd transmission moves about 1/8" or less and the bad one moves way more then that.

I was thinking about replacing the main seal and it may bit me in the bu&&* but for now I will leave it.

Got the clutch and pressure plate cleaned up and they look good, not much wear and no sighs of heat, I guess I stopped just in time.
Got a new Pilot bearing and may put in a new throw-out bearing in.

Again thanks for all your inputs and help!!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took the front of the old transmission parts to try to find the problem. I am not sure I can tell what is bad.
I measured (the best I can) the shaft and bearing retainer and the shaft is 1.495" and it looks ok, and the retainer in 1.518".
Is .023 over part of the problem?

What is the right bearing part number I need to order? There was some talk about three that will work but only one is the right one.

Can you buy a new bearing retainer? Or you just have to find a old transmission on take it out?

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the correct bearing for the top shafts, both front and rear is 1308SL. was there a gasket on the retainer or just that crap people think is as good as a gasket? ( hint, it's not) clean all that stuff off and use the correct gaskets.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe, 0.023" seems a bit too much.
I just measured a NIB retainer: 1.504", where the thread is.

I got that retainer from m-35tom; he might have some more?

The correct bearing number is BL308ZNR, (90x40x23). Its a high load bearing and has 11 balls, NOT just 8.
See this old thread...

EDIT: Hah...., Tom, you were faster...:wink:

G.

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the correct bearing for the top shafts, both front and rear is . was there a gasket on the retainer or just that crap people think is as good as a gasket? ( hint, it's not) clean all that stuff off and use the correct gaskets.

m-35tom
Thanks for the P/N for the bearing!!!
It just had the red silicone on it. I will get the gaskets for it. Thanks!!!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
G, there seem to be number changes from one mfg to another, but they share some part of the number. i use 1308SL which has 11 balls and the correct shield, made by nachi. also M1207EL made by link-belt, and 1307-L by ntn. for the 14 rollers, i have them .125" longer than stock and they fit fine. (more support?)

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct on the different letters, but the number is always 308.
NTN and NSK, both use BL308 in their catalogs.

That bearing shown in post #24 is a high-load bearing.

G.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run into another problem or question.

I put in a new pilot bearing/ (Bushing) and it was a little tight putting it in the back of the crank. I tried the clutch alignment tool and it would not go in the pilot bearing. I measured it and the input shaft of the transmission and the transmission shaft is .005 to .006" larger then the pilot bearing ID.

Do I have to force the transmission shaft into the the bearing?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do I have to force the transmission shaft into the the bearing?
You don't really need someone else answering that, or...??:?

Pull that bearing/bushing back out and enlarge the ID until you get a real loose fit, when tried outside the crank, on the input shaft.
We certainly don't want any interference there, between bushing and input shaft, once all was installed!

G.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the correct bearing for the top shafts, both front and rear is 1308SL. was there a gasket on the retainer or just that crap people think is as good as a gasket? ( hint, it's not) clean all that stuff off and use the correct gaskets.
M-35tom was right!!! Someone used silicone and stopped up the drain back hole in the transmission housing.
I am guessing that was the problem all along.
Will be putting the transmission back in this weekend, I hope.

M-35tom Thanks!!!!!

Attachments

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I have read a number of post were they say if you pull the transmission to replace the rear main seal... I did not and guess what, it was leaking also.
So out comes the transmission again to replace the rear main. DOH!!aua
Replaced the seal and put the transmission back in and did a 25 miles test drive and no leaks, for now anyway.

I would like to thank all that posted with help and helpful hits and p/n info.

I know way more about a deuce transmission job then I wanted to know, The 2nd time was easier, LOL!!!:D

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks