• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions regarding 3l80 Transmissons and down shifting

AOR

I am a new to owning a HMMWV. I have a 1986 with the 3L80 3 speed setup. Should it downshift on its own when pressing the accelerator down to the floor and at what speeds would it downshift?
Also there is a cable that connects onto the passenger side that has a minor leak does anyone know exactly what it is for? I have been told very different things from people who deal with these every day.

dhaumann69166

The turbo 400 will downshift but you have to be lugging around at pretty low RPM and put it all the way to the floor. I usually shift manually when driving mine just to keep better control of the RPM and not make it lug around so low. The only time I have had mine kick down a gear is starting into a soft sand hill climb and usually I try to have it in the desired gear before starting into the obstacle. 6.2 is a low RPM motor so don’t expect it to grab a gear and rap up hard like modern vehicles. Also when you put it flat to the floor your clutch fan should shut off for 30 seconds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks