• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions with rear tire air valve - broke!

PapaPumpSD

I heard some leaking as I started the m925A2 up this morning so I checked the tires. The back-most driver's side tire was hissing and I went to make sure some fitting were tight. Upon gently trying to tighten a nut on an exterior air hose, it sheared off. Here are some photos. I'm trying to find the NSN or part number that I need to purchase. Any idea what this is? I've gone through the manual 24-p1 figure 292 but I cannot tell if this is the part I need.

Note: In the image below, I have the hole plugged with a Q-tip so air wouldn't come rushing out. Image 3 is of a proper setup from the tire in front of the one that has the broken "valve".

IMG_20160604_102202680.jpgIMG_20160604_102225467.jpgM939A2 rear tire valve proper 1.jpgM939A2 air valve 24P-1 Figure 292.JPG

Csm Davis

You can put a plug in for the time being and air up from the rear, just unscrew what's left of the part you broke off. Sorry don't know if you can buy just that piece.

sent from my decrepit fingers

PapaPumpSD

Thank you fellas! I'll buy that Schrader valve.

Question
: Can I replace that valve while keeping the tire mounted & on the truck? I assume air will gush out after I remove the bad valve but as soon as I get the new valve in (should be quick?) and reassembled w/the air inlet tube the air gushing should stop. I'm trying to be prepared for the fix.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes. jack the axle up to support it(you won't stress the tire belts by having the trucks weight on a flat tire) pull the valve core and wait for it to deflate. Do what you need to do, replace valve core and inflate to proper pressure.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can take a old ctis wheel valve and pull the fitting out it and it will screw into the turret valve.

PapaPumpSD

Yes. jack the axle up to support it(you won't stress the tire belts by having the trucks weight on a flat tire) pull the valve core and wait for it to deflate. Do what you need to do, replace valve core and inflate to proper pressure.
gimpyrobb, I got to our warehouse today and, sure enough, the tire was flat. How long can the truck sit like that until there's damage to the tire? I'll try to find that schrader valve locally as I need to get this truck moving ASAP. I hope one of the auto parts stores around here has it.

Thank you,

Brent

PapaPumpSD

Yes, it is a Schrader Valve (Tank Valve) For M939A2 CTIS Wheel Valve, Part #599756. Erik's Military Surplus has them ( http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/scvatvaform9.html ), along with most hydraulic hose repair shops and some NAPAs.

I've replaced a couple on my A2, simple.
Silverstate, I purchased some of those valves from Erik's but that is not the correct part I need as it's too small. Here are a couple of images of what I need (the old damaged part which sheared off) vs. what I received from Erik's (the clean silver part). Any ideas?
IMG_20160610_155329027.jpgIMG_20160610_155352926.jpg

Ford Mechanic

Go to your local big truck or hydro hose shop. You need a Schrader valve on a 1/4 pipe nipple. Common part, normally comes shrink wrapped on a card. Or you can get a 1/4 pipe to 1/8 pipe bushing and use the part that Erik's sent you.

PapaPumpSD

I went and purchased an 1/8" to 1/4" bushing and it's too big (both ends)! The 1/8" end doesn't fit the schrader valve and the 1/4" end is much too large to fit into the location on the rim. I need a 1/8" to fit into the rim (the original vavle was 1/8"). Anyway, I returned the bushings to Ace Hardware. I believe I'll need a 1/16" to 1/8" bushing (pipe thread) to make this work. Where I'll source that, I don't know yet.

If anyone is in the Colorado Springs area and wants to work on this truck, please message me. I'm very over all of this drama & minutia. I bought the truck to run into things and go off-road, not sit in a warehouse and collect dust.

M939A2 tire air valve problem comparison.jpg

Thank you for your continued help,

Brent

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, if i understand correctly, you need one of these 1/8" NPT to Valve Stem Schrader adapters?

Ironically, I got this at Ace Hardware too. I use them to test fan clutches. I also have one on my fuel cap for quick priming. They were in the tool section with the air hose chucks and fittings.

20160612_161157.jpg

20160612_161146.jpg

PapaPumpSD

So, if i understand correctly, you need one of these 1/8" NPT to Valve Stem Schrader adapters?

Ironically, I got this at Ace Hardware too. I use them to test fan clutches. I also have one on my fuel cap for quick priming. They were in the tool section with the air hose chucks and fittings.

View attachment 628100

View attachment 628101
Hmmm, at this point I'm not quite sure what the magical solution. Ace is close by so I'll swing by and get one of those adapters in your photo. That looks like it'd work, but then again, most anything I do to that truck takes countless iterations before it works!

Thank you for your help!

Brent

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm, at this point I'm not quite sure what the magical solution. Ace is close by so I'll swing by and get one of those adapters in your photo. That looks like it'd work, but then again, most anything I do to that truck takes countless iterations before it works!

Thank you for your help!

Brent
I guess "Ace is the Place" on Sunday. Was about to head there for some bolts when I posted. Here's a packaging picture.

20160612_163521.jpg