• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick fixes/ emergency repairs/ jerry rigging/ inovations that will get you home.

Nice temp fix, definitely better than falling thru the floor. I had a '90 Geo Prizm(aka Corolla)which developed a dime size hole in the exhaust right where a support hanger attached. That lil'hole transformed that car to a racket making no torque paper weight. I went thru my recyclables and got out a Chefboyr'd spaghetti can(although ravioli would work too ;-)). Took can opener to unopened end and then cut can along its length with tin snips. I then wrapped it around the exhaust hole and duct taped over it. Although the exhaust was not hanging any lower without the hanger attached I later used one large radiator clamp and wrapped it around the hanger and exhaust then tightened it and it's been like that for 8 yrs. Does anybody make complete floor pans for cucv's? If so, would it be safe to drill holes and bolt it in(high grade nut/bolt/washers) instead of welding it in? I would imagine if you did a good job bolting it to good metal that it should be able to support the seat and occupants during hard braking/acceleration and /or accident. If welding is the way to go then what type of weld should be done(gas or stick)? I know some use rivets however I would not bolt a seat to metal riveted on. I don't believe that they would be strong enough to withstand a violent braking event or accident. Anyone have experience with this?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anybody make complete floor pans for cucv's? If so, would it be safe to drill holes and bolt it in(high grade nut/bolt/washers) instead of welding it in? I would imagine if you did a good job bolting it to good metal that it should be able to support the seat and occupants during hard braking/acceleration and /or accident. If welding is the way to go then what type of weld should be done(gas or stick)? I know some use rivets however I would not bolt a seat to metal riveted on. I don't believe that they would be strong enough to withstand a violent braking event or accident. Anyone have experience with this?
Yes, floor pans are available from several sources. Do a search, ida34 had a thread on this subject this past spring/winter.

REGULATOR

I plan on assembling a bag of stuff for this vehicle once I get mine running, zip ties, duct tape, hose clamps, spare belts assorted bolts and nuts, JB weld, vise grips etc..

you never know, I'm sure most of us have some non CUCV related broke down and rigged it fixes, hope to keep mine to a minimum

TOG 5

Many expedient fixes date way back to the earliest vehicles and most are workable today, just a few I've used:

A stiff clothes hanger wired to the windshield wiper when the motor goes bad .. push-pull,

Womens hose as a V belt, Don't ask :-?

Large piece of wood between the frame rail and axle after a spring main leaf broke ... chain,
ratchet strap and wire to hold things in place till we got back to camp .. 1 other time used a winch cable to position axle and counter the pull of the ratchet strap tied to the bumper,

Broke axle shaft on a full floater axle, pull shaft bits and pieces ... reassemble .. drive on,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks