• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick generator ID question

ODdave

quick question, I am going to look at buying a small (3kw) genset tomarrow morning and wanted to find some info on it tonight. I know i have see them on here before (tried the search function with no avail) It has a small 4cyl gas engine. Anyone know the military designation? Owner says last time he used it was 4 years ago, recently ran it to sell and had no power output from the gen head.

ODdave

thats what i was looking for, any info to offer on it? what it might be worth? He wants 100 but with no output i am not shure. I probably wont use it much, i just like to collect the stuff

scoutmanadam

if you can use that fact that it doesn't work properly to maybe get a lower price go for it, i would pay 100 for it if it was in good condition looks wise, not all rusted and banged up and if the motor itself was good. the motor is worth that if it runs reasonably well. go for it

DieselBob

The "no output" could be as simple a flashing the field or a bad regulator. I am not up on the MEP-16 and the gen section/controls. My MEP-18a (10K version) has a "field Flash" switch. I'm guessing that like the -18a you should not idle this unit because it will burn out the output transistor for the regulator. For $100 I would take a chance. If the engine runs good you covered the investment. 2cents

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 016 is loud too but not obnoxious. I would bet money on the regulator and if it's the open frame, easily fixed. Worth a "C" note all day long if it's decent. The little flat 4 kinda sounds like a VW. I have one and its darned cool.

jbk

mep-016a 79 db. 25 ft. mep-017a 82 db 25 ft. i have a 16a that i got a nos engine for with the electronic ign.very smoothe little engine. no louder than the consumer models. if the regulator is bad their pricey. ive aquired a couple spares. i put 4 kw on it when i adjusted the governor.

jbk

i got a nos off e__y for 175.00 i saw a few nos recently on e__y for 200.00 buy it now. search for military voltage regulator. i think saturn surplus will sell a used one for 150.00 they have a parts and price list online. just looked nothin on e__y but saturn surplus has used for 125.00

Last edited:

derf

I sold one on e__y recently (7/29). I don't see any others listed there now.
I have one more, tested and ready to go. PM if interested.

Last edited:

derf

its not. he used it for 120/240. 400hz sets are much larger

400hz sets are the same size and put out 120/240V, just 400Hz instead of the useful 60Hz. The 400Hz 3kW sets are MEP-021s. The "A" and "C" suffixes, like MEP-016C denote motor ignition type. "A"s are points type and "C"s have more modern breakerless ignitions.

I would probably give $100 for a running MEP-016 or 021, even if it didn't make power. But, I have an extra VR and extra 3kW 60Hz head lying around.

Also, there is a MEP-026 that is the same size set with a 28V DC output.

The data plate should read MEP-016 A or C for 120/240V 60Hz. The frequency gauge will have 60 in the middle.

Also, for easier ID, DC units will have a two pole breaker, AC units will have a three pole breaker. Early units have a field flash switch on the control panel, newer units do not.
Sometimes GL labels things incorrectly. It is good to know details that you can verify in pictures if you want to bid on something and can't inspect in person.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks