• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

quick ideas please, cold weather issues

WYomer

So its been 5 to -20F here the last two weeks and I fired up the M923A2 this morning and it ran like a champ. Now that works over it started up after a bit of chugging. It didnt wnat to build air for quite some time then poof it started building air fine. Ok but now it doesnt want to go over about 1100 RMP/5MPH.....wonderful.

Threw a bottle of 911 in it with 1/2 tank, bled the FI and drained the fuel filter.

Any other ideas? I just have it idleing now

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Additive need to be used before a problem.

Change your fuel filters.

One fuel waxes, it doesn't go back. It will plug the filter for ever.

You can't drain ice either. Maintenance is mandatory.

When have you serviced your air dryer last?

WYomer

Additive need to be used before a problem.

Change your fuel filters.

One fuel waxes, it doesn't go back. It will plug the filter for ever.

You can't drain ice either. Maintenance is mandatory.

When have you serviced your air dryer last?
Air dryer was about 1.5 years ago

I put some 911 in the filter and shook it up hoping for something but I'm going to try and limp to NAPA for a new one before they close.

WYomer

Yup limped to NAPA and got a new fuel filter and she was running like a top again. I ran 150g of diesel doing recoveries and trips for snowed in folks. I need down time for service now.

The worst was -49F with a correction factor of -79 Wind Chill. One driver up in the hills got a correction factor of -104F! and was recorded and verified. These arctic blasts are not your average storms.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yup limped to NAPA and got a new fuel filter and she was running like a top again. I ran 150g of diesel doing recoveries and trips for snowed in folks. I need down time for service now.

The worst was -49F with a correction factor of -79 Wind Chill. One driver up in the hills got a correction factor of -104F! and was recorded and verified. These arctic blasts are not your average storms.
You also need to add some air brake anti freeze to your system. Even with a good dryer. There is still water. I use the anti freeze and rust preventer type

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As doghead stated ALL of this needs to be done BEFORE the problems start, once the issues get to far along your done driving and looking for a tow! In any type if winter driving with a diesel engine you need to have good clean filters, you will likely need some type of winter front or at least a piece of cardboard etc. to cover your radiator or you engine may never get any temp in it. If your running #2 diesel your always going to have to treat it with some type of anti jel mixture, if you done want to mess with using anti jel then you have the option of running a 50/50 mix of #2 and #1 generally speaking this will not need to be treated with anti jel but if any doubt what so ever is in your mind TREAT IT!
As far as your air lines go they are going to need to be treated also, any truck stop has airline treatment, its all basically rubbing alcohol, if this is not done I have heard of it going so far as to even freeze up the air dryer. This sounds like a lot but everybody who runs truck in the winter this is everyday normal SOP!
Good luck
Karl

exssdru

Stupid question, but how and where do you put the airline antifreeze? Looked through the TM's and I cant figure it out. I have an 83' M925 (NHC-250)

red

Remove the air line coming off of the compressor and poor the airline antifreeze into the hose, then reconnect the hose to the compressor. It will flow through the air dryer.

exssdru

Remove the air line coming off of the compressor and poor the airline antifreeze into the hose, then reconnect the hose to the compressor. It will flow through the air dryer.
Thank you very much! I bought some airline antifreeze, then felt like a retard when I couldn't figure out where to put it. The bottle of antifreeze has been sitting in my garage for a year now. How much should I put in?

wcuhillbilly

on our older M809 series trucks without an air dryer, it tends to be a chore, If your installing an air dryer it is to your advantage to plumb in a service port to make it easier on you to pour in some airline antifreeze without having to remove side panels and continually remove fittings..... Do it right the first time.........

red

Thank you very much! I bought some airline antifreeze, then felt like a retard when I couldn't figure out where to put it. The bottle of antifreeze has been sitting in my garage for a year now. How much should I put in?
If you are not having problems yet then none to very little. The antifreeze is mildly corrosive to the rubber in the valves/cans.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The crc diesel air brake stuff says prevents corrosion so how is it corrosive?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Jericho

I have found it easier to take a cheap air line Campbell Hausfeld regulator with filter and dump some brake line anti freeze into the bowl, attach a air nozzle with a flex tip on the other end of the regulator and you have a custom spray bottle ! Then with tanks drained and bleeds (drains) open at the passenger step shoot a small dose into each tank with the compressed air running thru the regulator and air nozzle , The regulator will infuse the ingoing air with alcohol INTO THE DRAINED TANK. close valves and crank your truck, Tank air will flow thru the system evenly from each tank really easy on the 900 series with the drain petcocks located together ! It was -47the other day, truck still cranked and built pressure , BUT you gotta keep up with it (M-931A2 )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks