• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick M35A2 Starter Relay Question

Speedzilla

Hey Guys,

On the starter relay, the two terminals on top, the rearmost one is the 24v hot from the starter button, and I think the one towards the front is a ground maybe? Is there supposed to be a ground wire there or is it grounded through the mount? Thanks!

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to know too. I was just messing with it. The starter button works intermitenly. Sometimes nothing. I just haven't taken time to take it apart, and see how its made. The last time I checked it, I had continuity between the button & starter, it worked, then it didn't. I suspect that it the contacts, inside the relay.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to know too. I was just messing with it. The starter button works intermitenly. Sometimes nothing. I just haven't taken time to take it apart, and see how its made. The last time I checked it, I had continuity between the button & starter, it worked, then it didn't. I suspect that it the contacts, inside the relay.
Are talking about the starter solenoid or the relay on the motor ?

dabtl

I had an intermittent relay on the block. On again off again performance but never would work when the engine was warm. When I removed it I found the threads on one of the posts had been stripped and it allowed the connector to move about. I could not remove the nut and had to cut it off to keep the wire. You might check for a snug fit on the posts before replacing.

Speedzilla

Sounds like I have a real similar problem. I haven't spent a lot of time with the truck but both times after driving it the relay wouldn't work. Perhaps something with the heat? Going to check all connections.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not the one on the starter. I call that one the starter solinoid. I believe that one works OK. That is how I start the truck when the button doesn't work -- by jumping between the little wire there, and the battery wire.. It doesn't seem to matter if its warm or not. It just sometimes works & then doesn't.

I am familiar with Cranetrucks diagram. I have it blown-up 3 feet large on the wall. All terminals are scraped clean & tight. I suspect that its the Relay on the side of the block, and just have to beat the alligators back far enough, to be able to have time to drop the air cleaner & take apart the Relay. I can't make the button not work. Thanks

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the ground term has a little cap on it that causes the small stud terminal to be grounded.it is steel and rusts, take it off and sandblast it put it back and paint it.

Speedzilla

I found the relay to be faulty. I don't know if I am just going crazy, but it failed to start three times, all three right after shutting it down from a drive. Not sure if the heat could have effected it or not. Put another relay on it and made sure it was grounded really well.

rustystud

With the relay just above the starter and close to the exhaust system it can get really hot. Heat kills electrical components, so I'm thinking of relocating the relay to a safer and more accessible place.

rustystud

I was thinking a heat shield might go a long way. Relocating would be best, but something to block the heat from the turbo would likely help
Yes, a heat shield should've been factory. Since I'm getting older and it's harder for me to get into these tight spots, I'll just relocate it to a easier access location.

Recently tried to start my 66 m35a2 and got nothing after pushing the button, I ordered a new push button and still nothing happened. Tested everything and found that no power was leaving the relay. Read some of the posts about taking it apart and cleaning it and read others about not even needing it. Is there a way to skip the relay and direct wire the push button to the starter?

Dm35

Did you use a m35a2 relay or a off the shelf relay?
I found the relay to be faulty. I don't know if I am just going crazy, but it failed to start three times, all three right after shutting it down from a drive. Not sure if the heat could have effected it or not. Put another relay on it and made sure it was grounded really well.
Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks