• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick Newb question...

Kopterdoctor

New to the forum from up in central Maine.Haven't purchased my M35a2 as of yet. Still looking for the right one for me. I am very interested in the multi-fuel aspect of it. But here is my question...
I have access to large amounts of used MIL-PRF-23699 oil that is already pre-filtered to 3 micron or less. It contains no carbon either. Looks just as clean as it did when it came out of the can. I was wondering if it is a viable fuel source for the multi? My search-fu isn't that good on this site yet so forgive me if I missed it. Thanks for looking and answering( for those that can).

Beyond Biodiesel

A google search for MIL-PRF-23699 oil says it is a Turbine Oil and it is a 5 mm2/s (5 cSt) synthetic ester oil. It sounds like you just hit the mother load. All I would do with it is run it through a final filter attached to a transfer pump and pump it right in. It might be a little hard to start in cold weather, if so, add gasoline at 5%-20%. Through experimentation you will find how much gasoline to add in the winter.

Kopterdoctor

Looking at a 330 gal. polyethylene tank on a skid. I won't be able to fill it every month but I will be close to it. I drive almost 100 miles a day 5 days a week so I should cut my fuel bill down to peanuts. Glad the clean oil will be a viable alternative. Now to find the right vehicle to burn it in...

Beyond Biodiesel

Now to find the right vehicle to burn it in...
Any diesel engine should be able to burn your waste turbine oil (WTB), although a turbo charger help a great deal with burning marginal fuels in diesel engines. You may have to add a small amount of gasoline to improve its combustion, but I bet it will not be much more than 5%.

reset2

Hey Beyond Biodiesel or others
I have been filtering and blending different oils for a while now. Is there any oil a person should stay away from. I have found that thinner oils act just like diesel but is there an oil that should be avoided completely? One that I have access to is some used gear oil. I have burnt simillar gear before with adding 15- 20 percent gasoline with good results in smaller quanitites or batches previosly. Will the gear oil tend to carbon up more than others? Currently I will use alternative oils then for a couple tanks then run straight road diesel for 50 to 100 miles just for a flushing.
Thanks

Beyond Biodiesel

Gear oil is the only oil that I have had a great deal of trouble burning, other than heavily burned WMO, but if it was a small percentage, then it would probably be OK. Otherwise, it might need gasoline blended with it at 50%, then you would have to find alcohol-free gasoline to blend with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks