• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick on off hardtop ideas?

abh3

It's nice weather and I'd like to set up a hardtop to be a little easier on and off for fair weather cruising, use a pulley system from the shop ceiling to snatch it off in a few moments, quicker than removing a soft top I'd hope. Yeah, I know, leave it topless but around here barn dust, birds, etc. are tough on barn-kept machines, the A3 has 1600 miles on it and I like the way it looks in the cab!

Seems like some kind of stud arrangement going through the cab bolt-holes would locate it, I was looking at the hood latches on my Ford L9000 road tractor, something like those might hold it on, don't know if I'd trust the rubber type hood latches... Some smaller similar clamps or latches might work for the windshield end of things. Any bright ideas? Seen some clamps, latches, devices that might work?

Thanks for your thoughts.

tory

there are metal spring type hood latches you can get instead of the rubber ones for retention. and for quick removal, have you considered "squibs"? they are the small explosive the movies use to start explosions to blow things up. maybe not all that practical, but very impressive if you want the roof off "RIGHT NOW !!!"

rtjraleigh

Banned
I tacked the bolts to the hardtop that go through the windshied frame. Then i bought a couple of pickup truck camper shell clamps for the rear. less then two minutes and the top is off and in the bed. pics to come. rob

spentshell

there are metal spring type hood latches you can get instead of the rubber ones for retention. and for quick removal, have you considered "squibs"? they are the small explosive the movies use to start explosions to blow things up. maybe not all that practical, but very impressive if you want the roof off "RIGHT NOW !!!"

Does this mean we can install ejection seats in our deuces now :idea:

Blood_of_Tyrants

I would start with putting some pointed guide pins in the roof that line up with holes in the back of the truck. About 4 would do it. The Camper shell clamps would work was would some welder's vice grips. The front is a bit more problematic. Perhaps some of the clamps of the type that are used in convertibles.

Green_gator

For the front could you do some thing along the lines of the Wrangler soft top clamps. I remember that there were two easy latches to open the front and that may work for the front.

Dodgeman1941

Ejection seat... There have been many times where I've hit a good bump and the spring seat tried to put me through the roof. I now instinctively duck when I see a good size bump coming.

With my top I just run with the 2 windshield bolts and 2 of the bolts in the back. A couple of minutes and everything is unbolted.

abh3

Hadn't thought about camper-top clamps, that might be the more secure way to do it and I've probably got a few lying around the shop if the aluminum gnomes didn't carry them away last Summer when scrap got so high...

The Jeep top latches are looking pretty good for the windshield, looking at Ebay reveals there are some Jeep hood latches that might work as well...

For the back of the top I'm thinking studs with a washer (thinner than the weatherstrip) welded on and threaded on the end to fasten it through the top's holes with a nut... Either Jeep latches or topper clamps may be the way to go.

An ejection seat would be fun but I've managed to eject passengers without one from a Landrover! Luckily, no drunks were harmed. Ah, the sins of our youth...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks