• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick questions on M35A2

91W350

My uncle served in the mid 1960s to early 1970s, when he first learned I had a multifuel, his advice was not to run the engine over 2200 unless it was absolutely necessary. He said they learned quickly that they would unload a rod if run hard very long. I told him I was aware of the slotted blocks, he said they did it when they were new. He spoke from personal experience, but you are correct, we have no idea what quality the rebuilds are. For that matter, we have no idea of the original build quality.

Dipstick

welldigger is right on the money as he usually is. I try not to drive my Deuce during times of peak traffic (school buses and people driving home from work). I usually drive Brutus in for my midnight shift at 6pm on Friday night. That way when I get off at 6am Saturday morning everyone else in the world is sleeping. I usually drive through Stewartsville N.J. keeping my rpms low by cruising through the twisties in 4th gear at 30mph or so. Don't have to use the brakes. Just backing off the throttle a bit helps me keep the rubber side down. Speaking of Deuce brakes....when I've had to haul him down in a hurry....my truck stops pretty darned well. I've owned pick up trucks that were way worse. Air wipers are a whole nother subject. They are useless. A tip. I love my Firestone T831s. They are awesome tires. Having a set relieves me of the NDT problems all together. Daily driver? Not so much. Not in Jersey where people routinely drive 70 in a 50 zone.

Dipstick

91..I'm with you and your Uncle. 2200 is my max cruise speed. That's my Brutus' happy zone. My engine is an unknown. Going to rebuild my Whistler turbo soon. I think the oil seals are shot.

TehTDK

Maybe you will be the lucky one with the magic engine that takes on the governor running repeatedly. The are a lot of threads here about the slotted Multi fuel blocks. The slot being where the rod exited. I really do not think they were designed to run flat out for an extended period. At least their history does not reflect that.
I would think the 12 seconds on non-lubrication at start might also be a contributing factor. I am thinking whether adding "no runback" filters, new rods AND rod bolts will actually stave off the dreaded ventilated block issue. It whether it will still just be a moment of time before the block is "ventilated".

91W350

I think part of that 12 seconds is the electric oil pressure gauge. I adapted one over to a manual gauge when I was short the electric gauge and it was much quicker to show oil pressure. The 809 series trucks had manual gauges in the Cummins and they can easily be adapted to the Multifuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks