• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick tips on getting parts for m939s

Hawssie

I am new to these trucks and I am now in need for some parts. I have been snooping around the vender forums and it seems its hit and miss as far as specific parts go unless you want parts from salvage trucks. I was wondering what are the best options for parts for these trucks. I imagine it depends a lot on what your after so I will list a few parts i need right now to get an idea of some good sources. I need a E brake cable, a headlight, a Fuel tank sending unit, front windshield, wiper air motor, hood to fender rubber rest stops. On some of the parts it doesn't seem that used would be the best option unless thats all there is or prices are outrageous. I thought I could have the glass cut since its flat but the rest Im not sure about. I have seen the headlights far sale though. I do see the venders advertisements, I am not that blind but I thought I would maybe ask recommendations for any certain places to begin with since I have not bought anything yet.. Thanks

162tcat

I use Eriks military surplus if I need something from a vendor. The prices are usually fair and they've always had what I needed.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I now know that getting a fan clutch for the 8.3 Cummins in the A2 trucks is an exercise in frustration.:confused:

I took the old one to Fleetpride and they could not match it.:?:

Cummins in Birmingham is equally clueless.:shrugs:

Evidently it is a proprietary item built for HARSCO/BMY for the trucks they rebuilt and made from unobtainium. :cookoo:

I have a fellow member that is a mechanic at a military installation that is trying to find a source for them.[thumbzup][thumbzup]

I now have a 36,000 pound piece of yard art for the lack of a fan clutch.auaauaaua

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you'll just have to buy an extra truck for parts Wreckerman! I'm seriously thinking of buying another just for CTIS parts ect.... They're cheap enough.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Thank you Doghead. I would have thought Fleetpride stocked Horton. He looked at the one I brought in, checked it against all the books he had on the counter and found nothing. I think part of the issue is that the older 8.3's used V-belts and the ones in the A2's use the serpentine belt.
I'll call them today and see if they can get it.

Update: I called Fleetpride and when he typed in the number he got nothing. DAMIFINO:shrugs::shrugs:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contact Horton directly.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
UPDATE: Called NAPA and gave them the number. No soap. I'll check with my secret source and see what he found out.

My buddy has a Volvo that has the 8.3 in it and he says it as the serpentine belt in it also.

This is getting stupid.:roll:

hklvette

In my experience, with the exception of COTS parts, its easiest just to go straight to the manufacturer of the part. For example, all of the CTIS parts are still available from Dana/ Eaton if you're willing to pay for them. Heck, the Military Sustainment rep sent me the Bill of Materials for the wheel valves so I could find the parts I needed. Many parts on the 939 series trucks are available at NAPA, but some you do have to go straight to the source for.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my experience, with the exception of COTS parts, its easiest just to go straight to the manufacturer of the part. For example, all of the CTIS parts are still available from Dana/ Eaton if you're willing to pay for them. Heck, the Military Sustainment rep sent me the Bill of Materials for the wheel valves so I could find the parts I needed. Many parts on the 939 series trucks are available at NAPA, but some you do have to go straight to the source for.
And what exactly would be "willing to pay for them?" Like the new price of a wrecker, $169,000 vs $6,000 from GL?

Hawssie

I am definitely going to buy a parts truck(s) too, when I get a better hand on moving them. By the way when you find out how much that clutch fan is I bet a parts truck will look like a good bargain. Those things are expensive no matter what truck you need them for. With the price of a lot of the cargo trucks you can get a lot for your money just in tires. Most venders seem to want 350-400 per tire for good used ones without the rim. times that by 6 and your getting close on some buys, add a few more parts to covet the tax & Buyers prem, and your there. Not to mention its good insurance if you need something quick. But for some wear parts it would be nice to get new. Thats why I asked what it was like buying parts new. Do these venders get them from the original source or are they mostly buying lots of random liquidation parts and they got 50 of one part and none of most. I do agree though when your buying new parts the sticker shock probably will kick in when you figure these trucks were not built cheap in the first place, we just got them cheap.

Artisan

I believe those are rebuildable.
If it is a 911279 then CLICK HERE and then
click on the rebuild kit on the right side of the page.

Or Call them and send them pics. maybe it can be sent to
them for a rebuild as well.

I found many possibilities...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to ask, why not just insert the bolts(supplied), and eliminate the air clutch all together?

0$

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks