• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quirky MEP-803 voltage regulator ?

jimbo913

Yesterday I started up my 803A just to circulate some oil and I noticed that the voltage was reading 220v and I had just ran it a month ago and it was set at 240v. I attempted to adjust the knob and could only get it to 230v before hitting the limit of the knob. After a few attemps at adjusting the voltage regulators pot screw, I was able to get it back to 240v but now I am concerned that the voltage regulator is defective. Are these things just quirky?

Triple Jim

Could be dirty pot(s). Sealed ones are hard to do much with, other than exercising or replacing them. If you can get some good contact cleaner in them, that'll help. DeoxIT D5 is one.

jimbo913

I moved the voltage regulator "pot screw" back and fourth a few times before setting at the final position. I am not sure if its really a pot screw or just an adjustment screw as I have never seen inside one of these regulators. The first couple tries the unit started and immediately shut off due to over voltage but I finally got it dialed in to where I had some adjustment lower and higher than 240v.
And I left the screwdriver in the storage compartment just in case because not any old screwdriver will fit it!

Triple Jim

"Pot" is short for potentiometer, which is a variable resistor. If the pot is intended for a control panel, it usually has a shaft for a knob. If it's made to mount on a circuit board, it usually has a small protrusion like a screw head, with a slot for a screwdriver.

cuad4u

Sealed wire wound "pots" like the voltage adjust "pots" on the 002A and 003A are very reliable. They should read 0-1000 ohms as you turn the shaft. I had one that was squirrely. I drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the side and liberally squirted DeOxit into the "pot" and exercised it many turns. That solved the problem. I used a dab of JB Weld to seal the 1/8 inch hole. That generator is still running great after some 3 years. Just be careful and DO NOT let the drill bit go very far into the innards of the "pot".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks