• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Qustions about an Niehoff 100/40 amp 14/28 volt Alternator for a M35a2

ShawnIfert

I have a LEECE-NEVILLE MODEL 3002AE. I talked to them today, It is discontinued but they still make parts, but they have don't have any info on site other than AMA-5102UT replaces it. So will have the ask if you can get a 100 amp stator from a rebuild place. I did find niehoff alternator N1505-1 100 amp 50 amp 24/12 alternator. From what I understand it is bolt in. I am still checking on that. I have emailed a company and I am waiting for a reply. The nos one's are not cheap!! 1250 usd. The 200 amp one are a dime a dozen. 450 on ebay.

ShawnIfert

I ordered one! As my buddy Carson would say I pulled the trigger on it. I don't have the a balancer and I have a 20 year old alternator. I did the math and it was not far off from an new model alternator and a good high amp balancer!! I am a mechanical engineer and I don't like half assing stuff. But that is me!!

I know, I am a mechanic and I have a two year degree in welding and I am certified welder, I have a 2 year degree in Machine shop and have my journeymen's papers ( I worked for electric boat programming CNC's making parts out of super alloys for the sea wolf submarine project) and I am mechanical engineer. I work my way up in the drilling industry and they have paid for my education over the years so that I am an engineer now. I just giving you some back ground on myself Rusty.

I hope the info I have dug up helps!!

rustystud

View attachment 614292

This was the alternator that was used in the test on the 5 ton link. Under the Mil part number 10929868 it is 60 amp but if you cross-reference the number you get the civilian number AMA-5104UT that is rated for 90 amp.

Which model is this ? Is it the Leece-Neville A0014630JA or not ? If it is then someone could have installed the 100 amp stator. On eBay there was a company selling them for $50.00 two years ago. That's when I bought mine. The problem for me is I didn't have this model alternator ! Since then I haven't found one close by me for sell. As far as the military under-rating there outputs, I don't believe so since I got my information straight from Prestolite' website.

rustystud

I ordered one! As my buddy Carson would say I pulled the trigger on it. I don't have the a balancer and I have a 20 year old alternator. I did the math and it was not far off from an new model alternator and a good high amp balancer!! I am a mechanical engineer and I don't like half assing stuff. But that is me!!

I know, I am a mechanic and I have a two year degree in welding and I am certified welder, I have a 2 year degree in Machine shop and have my journeymen's papers ( I worked for electric boat programming CNC's making parts out of super alloys for the sea wolf submarine project) and I am mechanical engineer. I work my way up in the drilling industry and they have paid for my education over the years so that I am an engineer now. I just giving you some back ground on myself Rusty.

I hope the info I have dug up helps!!
You mean your a "machinist" not a mechanic correct ? Which metal did you certify on for your welding certificate ? To get your "Federal" certification you must qualify on every metal you wish to be certified on. I never did get my welding certificate since each test cost $150.00 ! So for steel, aluminum, cast-iron and brass which I welded on in the Marine Industry would have cost me $1200.00 ! Since you must qualify on "stick" and "Tig" as separate tests. That was a lot of money in 1980 ! Actually that's a good chunk of change today !

ShawnIfert

I am mechanic and a machinist as well. I was a line welder and then foreman of a welding fabrication shop for a drill rig manufacturer 6 year. The company paid for all our certification. We only needed a few certification for what we were doing. Just stick and Mig solid wire and FCAW structural welding certification. We had to be certified to weld T1. It was the same test. The T1 was some nasty stuff. Very high Manganese content. You had to use a respirator while welding that stuff even if you had a smoke eater.

When I was working as a machinist we were working K Monel, Monel, Carp 20, Hastoloy, 316,304, Navel brass, Bronze, Copper Nickel, Cast Iron and stuff they would not tell use what it was. I hated the brass the chips off of that could be very hot. We called them bumble bee's, when they hit you it stung!!

ShawnIfert

Bolt in Niehoff Model

This is the direct bolt in Niehoff alternator. It uses the same pulley. I read up on there alternator and they are 70% efficient. It less hp's to drive them then a conventional alternator that is 50% efficient. They are a sealed unit.

alternator-100-amp-dual-voltage-14-28-volt-brushless-design-niehoff-n1505-1-12447110-7.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks