• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R/F turn signal illuminates with brake application

rhinob

So when I apply the brakes, the right front turn signals illuminate. Rear bulbs removed, same thing.

Anyone run into this one? I have the manuals, but my wiring diagrams are mostly; missing from them.

erniemigi

This might seem like a dumb question 2 some of you but does your windshield wipers work, the reason i am asking this is when we were working on mine the turn signal would come on but wouldn't blink, the windshield wipers didn't work and when you turn the key to start it it sounded like somebody was shooting a machine gun, come to find out under the dash by the side wall there was 1 ground wire that had broken off of the connector, we reattached it and everything worked great, i got turn signals that flash - wipers that work - and it starts up just fine

rhinob

Ok, I'll answer all the responses at once. Problem started after paint, but have checked the wiring at the lamps, etc. All appears intact.

New to me truck, but have had it for a while.

Checked ground wires via wiring diagram - appear to be intact.

Wipers work normally.

I agree with the brake circuit finding a ground through the right front turn signal is my best potential solution..... Will continue my search....

Last edited:

motormayhem

Mine would light both turn signals (left and right) when I hit the brakes when I got the truck. Turned out to be the hazard light switch was turned on, but there was no flasher to make them work. Turned the switch on the column off and everything works normally.

rhinob

Here's a new twist which might lead to the flasher relay. Today I drove it extensively and slowly the frequency of r/f turn signals coming on with the brake diminished. I ran the turn signals in conjunction with braking which sometimes resulted in the r/f turn signal lights staying off. I will replace the turn signal/flasher relay and see what I've got. Will advise.

rhinob

And the solution was......

The hazard switch needed to be exercised. Initially it was quite difficult to turn them on and off, but after switching it about 20 times, the brakes can be pressed, and the turn signals stay off. Who knew.

Thanks for all the input. Had me looking at things I never knew existed under that machine.

motormayhem

And the solution was......

The hazard switch needed to be exercised. Initially it was quite difficult to turn them on and off, but after switching it about 20 times, the brakes can be pressed, and the turn signals stay off. Who knew.

Thanks for all the input. Had me looking at things I never knew existed under that machine.
:cool:
:beer:

Bretsuaz48

I am having this exact same problem, but on the drivers side. Turn signal illuminates when brakes are pressed.

I have also noted though, that when the headlights are on, the turn indicator for the right side on the dash is dimly illuminated. The headlight on the drivers side seems to be normal brightness, while the passenger side is dim. I messed around with the hazard swithch, but maybe I just need to do it a little more.

Any other suggestions of things to check?

edpdx

Bretsuaz48,

I am having this issue as well. The headlights on- the left signal indicator sticks in the ON position. Did you ever cure this?

mikelee

check ground wires clean terminations and use corrosion prevention grease . never hurts to do this anyway. Somewhere some one put a slogan on here if it is electrical clean it and if it is rubber replace it .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks