• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R & R work (remove and repair)

Keith_J

In the shower? Why?

Back when I was young, cleaning greasy stuff like that with home made napalm was my go to method. I would grind ordinary bar soap with a cheese grater, then let it dry in the sun. Once it would pulverize easily, it was mixed with paint thinner until a jelly formed. This would stay in place on odd parts like valve covers, engine blocks and the like. After a day, the crud washed off with a garden sprayer. And killed grass.

yes, it burns like real napalm. Gasoline also works but evaporates faster. Back then, gasoline had tetrylethyl lead so we didn't use it for cleaning.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, usually this is an outside project. It is about 6* here, so the car wash is out of the question. I think it will get hosed down with brake cleaner next, but not till it warms up a bit.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every kitchen should have a substantial solvent tank for these foul weather tasks. 75° and sunny here today. I have a 4000 PSI pressure cleaner as well if you want to swing by!

Jeepsinker

Dude, I would have given you my non working drill press. Only a couple years old and all it needs is a starting capacitor...
I have a Smithy combo machine now so I don't need it.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Now I understand Kip's nick name for you, everybody knows when cleaning heavy equipment in the tub you should wear shower shoes, what were you thinking?
In the early 80's after being in the field for 2 weeks my platoon sgt though it would be a great idea to clean our weapons in the shower, as a M60 gunner I can state that was a bad idea also.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
​We interrupt this program for an important announcement.

We want everyone to know that we love the ol' Gimpster. Without him around life would get dull pretty fast. He is a very generous person and will help anyone that he can. Thanks Gimp.

Back to your regular programming.

shortbus4.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'll lend you a pressure washer. That would likely make a mess of your entire bathroom though.
I have a V-twin powered 4000psi one, its too cold!

Do you really think Gimp's mess is limited to the shower?
Certainly not!

Every kitchen should have a substantial solvent tank for these foul weather tasks. 75° and sunny here today. I have a 4000 PSI pressure cleaner as well if you want to swing by!
DH knows about using the dishwasher. His ex washed her dildos in it!

Dude, I would have given you my non working drill press. Only a couple years old and all it needs is a starting capacitor...
I have a Smithy combo machine now so I don't need it.
I have a MIll and a bench top DP, it is handy to have more than one way to make a hole. Keep it and fix it!

Now I understand Kip's nick name for you, everybody knows when cleaning heavy equipment in the tub you should wear shower shoes, what were you thinking?
In the early 80's after being in the field for 2 weeks my platoon sgt though it would be a great idea to clean our weapons in the shower, as a M60 gunner I can state that was a bad idea also.
I concur.

​We interrupt this program for an important announcement.

We want everyone to know that we love the ol' Gimpster. Without him around life would get dull pretty fast. He is a very generous person and will help anyone that he can. Thanks Gimp.

Back to your regular programming.

View attachment 543044
Glad I could make some of you smile...

Flyingvan911

Sounds like when Swayze and I took apart the engine that will power my Mutt. It was covered in gunk that was a combination of oil and dirt but there was so much junk inside the engine I'm not sure how the oil got out.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
First thing that came to mind was "where is all that crud going to"? down a domestic drain?
Here in the States a domestic drain can handle quite a bit of abuse! Case in point... I didn't have any extra money to have a 300CI Ford truck engine block sent to the shop for cleaning etc., so I could rebuild it so I stripped the block down and had a friend help me carry it to the bath tub.:roll:...of course I had a thick rubber mat to set it on.
OK...so that wife is not with me anymore...:cookoo:

Anyhoo...after cleaning the block squeaky clean...I decided to go ahead and hone the cylinders.... while it was in the bath tub.:-D

Everything worked out well...for me at least.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Checked into a hotel in Enid OK one evening, when I opened the door to the room it smelled like burnt ATF, there were dark stains here and there in the carpet and sure enough there were outlines of trans parts painted in the shower!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny thing is, it took him 3 dates to get the drill press into the shower with him! :3dAngus:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks