• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R6602 opinion needed

Jimmy

I have an R6602 Continental engine that I took out of my M62 a year or so ago and am going to sell it but have no idea what it is worth. The speedo showed 3710 miles and 203.7 hours and is a 1955 model.

It is complete and also comes with bellhousing, clutch and starter. It ran great and has a new carb on it when I took it out. The only thing that I know is wrong with it is when I took it out and set it on the floor it fell over and bent one vave cover and broke the crossover tube studs and it also broke the crankcase breather. It would be easy to fix.

Anyone here know what I shoud ask for it?

Thanks,
Jimmy

oilcan

I picked one up with a transmission attached for $200. It fell over before I got to it, and took out the distributor and a few of the plug wires.

Jimmy

I thought that sounded a little low, at todays steel price and it weighing in around 2,000lbs you could just about scrap it and get that much.

DanMartin

OK...official thread hijack:

Suspending the need of some people to keep things "stock" or "original"....why not just put a 502 big block chevy in there? Yeah, there would be some engineering involved, but twice the HP, easy to find parts, great reliability, fuel injection, yadda yadda yadda. You could go Ford or whatever...but a more modern gasser engine seems like a really good idea to me. It would start up on cold days easier, get better mileage (well, at least the same with more power). It would also open up transmission opportunities like big 6 speeds.

Anyways...I would really love to see some more discussion around this. I know it's not for everyone, so please keep the flames down to low.

vtdeucedriver

Jimmy, I have seen takeouts from 600.00 to 900.00 and I believe that was with all the accessories, even the generator.

JasonS

Have you priced a 502 BBC? Might be cheaper to run but the up front costs are significantly higher. You would be much better off with a newer diesel. IMHO, the real problem with the R6602 is the very low compression ratio (and the lack of a full flow oil filter). Otherwise, it is a very nice engine.

My brother bought a low mileage 602 for $750 and that included the truck.

vtdeucedriver

Hey guys, Jimmy does not need to replace the R6602, he installed a Multifuel in his M62. I am still waiting on pics from brandon AMGENERAL for pics of the installation of a MACK in his M62. I like that set up better!

AMGeneral

Jeff,my M62 already has a Mack in it,it was done by either a NG unit or at the depot level before it was surplussed out.
Kinda odd though,they used the old gasser "anti diesel valve" control cable for the emergency shutdown valve control cable. plus instead of installing a new data shift plate,they just restamped the orig one for the new shift pattern.They also used a multifuel front wiring harness which makes for an interesting setup.

movcondude

While we´re at it - anybody sittin with a shopping /to-do list for the same trick with a multi-fueler...or at least a link to where on the site where it is already mentioned...

area52

movcondude

Thanx man...just what I needed... If u were living i Europe you would surely not be in any doubts with a gas price well over 2.50 $ ... well diesel is not much cheaper either but this is where the MF comes in ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks