• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R6602 Troubles

OSO

Started up my M139 on 8/06/07 4 seconds on starter it was running . But a lot of white smoke ,checked coolant level low added coolant got up to temp no rough idle ,not missing smoke stopped . was up to temperature , shut down . Pulled dip stick found higher than normal oil level . Smelled like exhaust ,burn't gas . Will pull heads off and check head gaskets for leakage engine is only 50 years old with 13,645 miles on it . Would the oil cooler cause the problem? No coolant on the ground . Only oil spot was from steering box seal on pittman arm . Puzzled aua Engine always started good . now have the dreaded anti freeze in oil ,which in turn is now in all of the oil passages now,and bearings . Don't have all that much time to completely change out all the bearings in the engine . :( Any tips for this research on water getting into oil system? aua OSO

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow:
I hope my M 52 does not do that when I finally get home... I would think that a pressure tester like a stant would tell you if you have a leak either way. As to finding it that is a whole nother thing. I know people hate alumaseal but in a pinch I would put a container in and run it up to temp then change the oil and try it again. Still leaking try one more container of alumaseal and do it again. This is the way I fixed a couple of OTR trucks when the owners did not want to spend money at our shop and wanted to get home to do the major overhaul. If you have to tear the engine down the alumaeal will indicate where the leak is.

m139h2otruck

Was the coolant 50/50 antifreeze? If not, and only mostly water just drain the oil, fix the head gaskets and try it again. Water in the oil is not as bad as 50/50 antifreeze on the bearings.

If the coolant was a mixture & you didn't run the engine very long (hours), it would still be a good bet to just fix the head gaskets and run it, with an eye on oil pressure vs temperature. Use just water on the test run to avoid any problems, and change the oil twice or more to make sure all coolant is out of the system. Use a good mechanical gage on the oil for the check. Not too likely that the leak is in the cooler. Have heard of a number of head gasket leaks on these engines. Probably just old age (50+ years) on the head gaskets.

OSO

Thanks for advice will use it . Going to pull plugs try to get a reading off the plugs to see which plug is the cleanest . That will be the cylinder that is leaking coolant . I just got the engine up to temperature not driving at all . no load on engine, temp 160 F when i figured out what had happened I shut down ! Oil was kinda thick muddy , smelled of exhaust gases . Will pull heads and replace after inspection of heads . Again thanks for the input. aua And yes coolant 50/50 mixture.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I doubt that many of our 6602's have 50 year old head gaskets I know my engine was rebuilt in the late 70's, I know that is still an old head gasket but I have older vehicles than that with original gaskets and no leaks. Please let us know how this goes as I am going to turn to on my M52 when I get home I can't wait to get back to work on it.

acetomatoco

Before taking off the heads, do a compression check on all cylinders and then a pressure leakdown test .. will isolate to the one head possibly... and maybe even point to the oil cooler or other malady. Doing the testing from the other side.. use the coolant/radiator pressure test with the "stant tester" from above post and watch for leakdown.. if there is rapid pressure loss do it a few cycles to get a bunch of fresh water into the leak area.. and then with the sjparkplugs out, crank her over and see which one spouts like a sperm whale...that will pinpoint your leak for sure...I really like the super singles on your M139, both of mine still have the 1400x20 bias ply...

OSO

Pulled plugs on Friday found #6 water droplets on it . Pulled drain plug drained off 3 gallons of anti freeze , then came the tar,with antifreeze in it. Refilled crankcase with oil . Refilled radiator with water and 4 tubes of aluminum seal started it up . Got up to temperature just a little smoke from exhaust ,smelled like oil. Let it run for a while .Shut it down will check for water in oil pan on Monday. Cranked it over with plugs out ,spewed like a whale out of # 6.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Do you mean that this water came out after running it up and getting it warm. Alumaseal needs to work against pressure and I have seen it plug big cracks in diesels that I only used it in to get a truck to it's home shop so they could repair it there rather than our shop charging them an arm and a leg to do the repair. Can you run it with #6 out and see if the spewing stops? I know I am going to go over my engine pretty close since it gave me some indication of trouble lugging the M 127 and actually stalled on I 695 I had to pull over let it cool and got it home finally. Sounds like the leak may need a tear down if Alumaseal can't stop it.

Hope this works out for you without getting into too much work.

OSO

Let me clear up things . After draining out the water from oil pan , then the oil . Refilled crankcase with oi;l pulled out the #6 plug ,then cranked engine over to clear #6 ,reinstalled plug .Dumped in 4 containers of alumaseal topped off water started it up . got to temp.then shut down . that was on Friday .On Monday I checked how much water dropped back into pan , got about 3 quarts of coolant. Started engine with # 6 plug out this time still blowing hot coolant out of #6 , so the heads are coming off. Picking up pickup bed crane from Harbor Freight tomorrow will bolt onto truck to pull heads No need to kill myself ,pulling heads . Will have pics for any one who needs a good laugh. :oops:

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for the update I know if the Alumaseal won't work it is time to do just that. I so agree on the crane, I put one in my duece right after the HF store opened up near our home. Please post the process because it is likely I will be doing some work on my M 52 when I get home.

Thanks and be careful those heads must be heavy

m139h2otruck

I would really like to see some good photos of the heads off the truck, as we have never been into our motor deeper than the valve cover removal for adjustment. I believe that the heads have real deep chambers with the valves well shrouded from the pistons. Can the pistons even hit the valves if open? Photos would be great.

OSO

Checked for water in oil today when started to drain off any looked like a couple of drops came before the oil . Then checked water level , when turning cap heard the sound of pressure being released . The water level was up into the neck of the radiator. Picked up my hoist today got it on sale $ 99.99 saved $30.00 ,and last one for a little while . Now I'am drilling out a plate to bolt onto winch , then drilling plate to mount hoist to. then the fun task of removing everything to goes to the heads . The water manifolds on both sides of engine where the hose slips on looks like trouble, along with oil cooler connection . Looking at parts break down don't see what kind of seal goes there. And yes I will get pictures of the heads ,to see what shape the chambers look like, thanks for asking would never thought to post those kind of pictures. Now my plumbing clients are screaming at me .When are you coming out! Thanks for all the interest on this problem. OSO { Kevin } :grd:

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
From the pressure you described the Alumaseal may have done some good. I have seen it seal leaks I did not think it could. Thanks and I hope it all goes as easy as it can be for working on a monster.

OSO

Well the frost has begun in the morning now it's time to get those heads off. I posted some pics of the crane I will be using for pulling the heads. Have the plate mounted with main post of the crane installed. Plumbing work has picked up again will have to get this done ASAP with colder weather on it's way. [thumbzup]

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks