• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R985 radial engine Pratt Whitney

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
R985 is a heck of a great engine, around here a few years ago virtually all the spray planes were using this engine then the P&W PT-6 turbine got into the spray plane business now days 90% of every sprayer you see is running a PT-6! Setoyota you dis a beautiful job on this display, the only way this engine would look better would be if it were still in an airplane! Beautiful job!!!
Karl

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the 1800 what would have been in a B-17? My dad would like a lamp made from one like he flew in. Wanna sell one?
yes the very same. I’m going to keep it for now. I plan to do something b17 themed with it.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was a fun project. Thanks for looking. I have another 100% complete r985 that I plan to sell.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
R985 is a heck of a great engine, around here a few years ago virtually all the spray planes were using this engine then the P&W PT-6 turbine got into the spray plane business now days 90% of every sprayer you see is running a PT-6! Setoyota you dis a beautiful job on this display, the only way this engine would look better would be if it were still in an airplane! Beautiful job!!!
Karl
a guy local to me did the exact same upgrade just a few years ago.

vtdeucedriver

All finished. Now I have a real WWII aircraft engine in the house and the wife actually likes it. Mostly made from discarded parts

Awesome job. If you ever get a chance to seek one out. The original 40's & 50''s PW emblem was made from porcelain. Sun Air Parts I believe makes a copy for collectors. That would be an awesome piece to add to that instead of the metal one and before you crimp it in there. Be sure to put a new nickel behind it ;)

BigRig379

yes the very same. I’m going to keep it for now. I plan to do something b17 themed with it.

It’s actually a 1820 I think the dash number is 76 for the b-17 I’d have to look in my book. If your close to me I’ll give you a ride on ours when we come through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s actually a 1820 I think the dash number is 76 for the b-17 I’d have to look in my book. If your close to me I’ll give you a ride on ours when we come through

Yes 1820 is exact. And when will you be in Ga? Which B17 is it ? I will take you up on that ride

BigRig379

We are in Montana moving to the north east. Won’t be around ha till october I suspect. 909 is the airplane. Have a b-24, b-25, Tf 51 and A1E. And the rides go for anybody out here. Search the collings foundation.org and checkout our schedule.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are in Montana moving to the north east. Won’t be around ha till october I suspect. 909 is the airplane. Have a b-24, b-25, Tf 51 and A1E. And the rides go for anybody out here. Search the collings foundation.org and checkout our schedule.

HOLY SMOKES!!! That is ONE HECK OF AN OFFER!! Will check out schedule for sure!! My Uncle was a bombardier over Europe in a B-17. THANK YOU!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Tried to send PM....mailbox is full.....imagine that?!? LOL
Would love to get in contact with you please.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know if you still have the same pilot for the B-24. It's been years ago at the Keystone air park in Keystone Fl. but I helped and use my M816 to change out one of the engines. Even helped to wrench on her plus my free ride and it was very cool.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I posted the pics here on SS but I lost all mine when the old puter crashed. Guess you could say I have got my hands dirty on a Radical engine and troubleshooted on a fighter jet engine.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks