• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Racing Jimmies

emr, Major Tom is neither young or extremely imature. He is old as dirt and only moderately imature.
I think some guys are blowing this way out of proportion. The races will be no more harmful to these trucks than an off road romp at Haspin.
One part of preserving history is, use vs. rot. Do we want to see these trucks slowly turn into a pile of rust, no. Nor do we want to see them crashed. The MVPA group that is having this function is very proactive in restoration and preservation so I doubt the truck will be put to harm.
As to which planet Tom is from, I would have to listen to the Bowie song again to find out.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I don't like it, but in my opinion it isn't much different than bobbing a truck.

and yes, I want to see the video.

scooter01922

Hey, they are his trucks. He can do as he likes with them. We are no better than the stupid govt if we start telling others what they can and can't do with their personal property on their own land. I want to see the classic MV's saved too but this is an interesting and fairly harmless endeavor.

Pawnshop

I am a preservationist, but I am also a realist. Some vehicles are just not worth restoring, due to many factors (rust, frame damage, whatever), you can reach the point of diminishing returns pretty quickly. I'm sure the folks at Alpha Heaven know where that point is!

At least they are not bobbing them!

badgmc56

Hey emr, I have been a auto and truck tech for a long time and when I had problems with my tranny in my M-211 , I called majortom with the symptoms and he hit the nail on the head the first time so I would say he is VERY knowledgeable about these trucks. I'm sure he will help anyone that asks him. As to ask questions about the man without knowing him , It is you who needs to take a step back and think before you fire off at someone!

Stan45

WOW, I Guy who collects MV's, decides to have some fun with a few excess trucks, invites everyone over to participate and gets flamed for doing things with his stuff. I suppose you are the type to tell me what color I can paint my house. In the 80's I build a Dirt car for a 70 Torino. Originally I was going to restore it, but it was flooded out twice while stored, and after seeing the interior, electrical, brake and ventilation system damage I decide to race it instead... Now I like to restore MV's, I'm not into Bobbing, huge tires, repowering but I don't tell someone else what they can do with their MV. I also don't like cars being crushed, old tractors being cut up , but again if I don't own it what right do I have telling they owner what they should do with it. Tom is a great guy, fun, easy to deal with, some flaming him is totally uncalled for.. BTW I would like the video...

BugEyeBear

WOW, I Guy who collects MV's, decides to have some fun with a few excess trucks, invites everyone over to participate and gets flamed for doing things with his stuff. ...but again if I don't own it what right do I have telling they owner what they should do with it. Tom is a great guy, fun, easy to deal with, some flaming him is totally uncalled for.. BTW I would like the video...
:ditto::ditto::ditto:

GEEZ! Some of you guys REALLY need to LIGHTEN UP!!
We are all supposed to be on here to enjoy a common interest and encourage others to join the insanity!! NOT to bag on someone because they have a slightly different point of view or a different method of enjoying MVs than our own! "Can't we all just get along?"....

This seems like a good event to PROMOTE an interest in MVs, doesn't sound like any real damage is gonna be done to the trucks, AND it sounds like a WHOLE LOTTA FUN to me!

Remember that these trucks WERE designed to be used, and personally I'd much rather see 'em used, repaired, & used again, than simply restored to better than new condition & then never see dirt again!

But that's just my Humble Opinion,, "Jimmy"! :mrgreen:

"Ground Control to Major Tom, you are Cleared For Liftoff!!"

HAVE FUN!! :jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:

-Bear-

Seatyger

Wow.
Things heat up rather quickly on here!! We should keep in mind that creativity keeps this hobby alive. Not everyone has the patience and/or the means to create a fleet of 'Parade' vehicles or museum pieces but god bless those that do.

I think it would be a shame to cut up a pristine or complete truck.......but as a kid I rat raced in the farm fields in M135's long before we ever knew what a quad was. Hell, they werent invented yet. If I can, I will one day have a museum version of what I drove in the military, A diesel powered quad cab version for me and my kids to 'cruise' in.

As well a Bobbed Hot rod version to annoy the goobers that spent 100,000 + on pimped out Ford 650's!!! :twisted:

You folks are awesome for the assistance you provide others and your passion for this pursuit.

And yes, put me down for a video!!!!

JD

blackwolftrading

Hi Tom this is Jan and Roy WE made it. The truck runs great. Loaded with railroad ties and lumber it traveled from Fairbanks to Central over three ranges 150 miles and no problems. That's not to include the 3500 miles we put on it driving to AK. Thanks ps looking for another trip?:-D

Westech

CPL
You know I am embarrassed at some of your remarks on this post. I really hope I NEVER meet some of you. And frankly I wish you were not members here. I joined this place to meet people with the same good interests as my self. If someone wants to "bob" or race or part out or whatever I don't care. ITS NOT MY TRUCK TO DECIDE WHAT HAPPENS TO IT! For some of you to jump on someone rear over what they do to there own things is just wrong. We live in America last time I checked and we are free do do what we wish. If you want to be a tough guy and pass out your phone number and act like a jerk go some place else. I for one have worked hard to keep this group running strong with friendship and helping one other. I cant even start to explain how mad this makes me feel. If you ever come across me at a swap meet or rally just keep walking, I don't have time for any of your crap. And many of you know I'm a good friend to have when you need help of any kind.

littlebob

Wow.
Things heat up rather quickly on here!! We should keep in mind that creativity keeps this hobby alive. Not everyone has the patience and/or the means to create a fleet of 'Parade' vehicles or museum pieces but god bless those that do.

I think it would be a shame to cut up a pristine or complete truck.......but as a kid I rat raced in the farm fields in M135's long before we ever knew what a quad was. Hell, they werent invented yet. If I can, I will one day have a museum version of what I drove in the military, A diesel powered quad cab version for me and my kids to 'cruise' in.

As well a Bobbed Hot rod version to annoy the goobers that spent 100,000 + on pimped out Ford 650's!!! :twisted:

You folks are awesome for the assistance you provide others and your passion for this pursuit.

And yes, put me down for a video!!!!

JD
It doesn't get that heated often, don't get discourged with us as a group, most here are pretty open minded and and enjoy the hobby in all of its forms. Personally I'm trying to fix my first one to represent a Vietnam era vehicle. My next one might be a bobbed one with refrigerated beer box on the back and tractor tires.

BugEyeBear

You know I am embarrassed at some of your remarks on this post. I really hope I NEVER meet some of you. And frankly I wish you were not members here......
FORTUNATELY Most Members here are GREAT!

There are just a few BAD Apples with narrow points of view.....

And even those "Bad Apples" probably just over-reacted, or were having a bad day....

2cents

-Bear-

Mastertech

Wow Wow Wow first of all lets just give the guy that made the comments against Tom giving people the chance to race these trucks the benefit of the dought that he does not know Tom or who he is, Has not talk to Tom or bought parts for these very trucks from Tom. I for one am Damn glad that Tom feels the way that he does about these trucks and knows what he does know about them. Because Tom has his web site I found it when I was searching for motorcycle parts and started reading about the military trucks realized that My uncle had owned one of these trucks and hauled a dozer on it on the bed that built for that dozer I am talking about the M135/211 series truck and I remembered what that bed looked like remembered that it had an auto trans with that shift tower on the floor. so after being on his sight about a year ago I went on craigs list and low and behold there was the very truck that my uncle had hauled his dozer on that I had not seen for over 35 years. At this time that truck is in My garage being given the respect it deserves But would I race one of these trucks? Hell yes, Hell YES I have bought parts for this truck from Tom and He has given me advice on these trucks and alot of you would be better of if you would just read the info that is here instead of asking the same questions over and over do you want to know what trans fluid to use in it ask Tom after all he has rebuilt more of them than we will ever see or better yet read his post ( hydromatic heaven ) after all this guy knows more about these trucks than we ever will and he has earned the right to race the hell out of them if thats what he wants to. Thank you Tom

P.S. you hd better make a DVD of the races and post it for sale on your site

Seatyger

littlebob;

I'm not discouraged in the least, in fact I'm getting an education. I havent the time and resources to learn everything from scratch on my own so I am giving the Members of this site fair warning that I will become a 'Pain in the Backside' come the end of summer when I get started on my projects! Members have already begun to share their technical expertise and resources.

A 'thank you very much to all' is in order.

We all have our own perspectives and personalites! You sure dont need to hear me preach on the subject LOL. But here goes!!

What I would have to disagree with is Jim's statement of 'cutting up the muscle cars' etc. If I would have kept every car that some Babyboomer now considers sacred I would be rolling. Back in the day it was only the gearheads wrenching and racing on the weekend that carried the ball and lived the musclecar lifestyle. You bought, built and drove the cars. And in many cases made them better. Quite frankly the whole automotive 'numbers matching' wah wah wah has gotten out of hand. But, if I had a pristine 1963-72 ??? and was offered 100,000 + hey consider it yours!!!

I can appreciate rarity and the historical significance of this pursuit. If something is truely unique or has a significant history than perhaps it should be shown the respect it deserves and cared for accordingly.........but 'it' is a piece of property. And not everyone has the ways and means to create their version of a Littlefield Museum. Those that have the passion, organizational skills to do so deserve our respect and patronage. That includes this website.

You would be hard pressed to convince me that any M35 is today is 'Shrine' material. (Unless you personally choose it to be) Perhaps 30 years from now should interest die off or supply dries up.

Thankfully Members here educate and accept Newbies into the fold and are willing to share the knowledge they learned the hard way. By actually Driving, breaking, getting down and dirty fixing, driving again. Hands on fun. Not everyone wants fulfill their passion by reading a book or simply looking online at images, I for one want to experience it first hand.

If we were to keep all as artifacts then whats next? State and Provincial Collectives where you form nonprofit societies, build & maintain suitable examples of static displays or time share the driving days for special events?

Me, I want to one day meet you guys and gals in person, get stuck in the mud, get unstuck, BBQ & Beers, and if all works out you can say....'Man that was one weird dude from Canada but did you see his truck ......!

Majtom soldier on.

Yep, I hear you guys, I'm gonna shut up now!

JD

m.walker

Just think of it this way Tom , someone that would have never given an MV a second glance may see your race and say " that's cool I want one of those " !!! A lot of those trucks got scrapped , I myself would have loved to race one . You may get a bigger draw next time !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks