• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rack and sector gear lock up need help,

Small Prepper

Evening

started replacing the wiper, signal, and key switch. After replacing all. I can't get the rack and sector gear to turn. It seams to be locked up. Any ideas?

i will be checking S.S. as much as I can.

thanks for any help

Roy

cucvrus

Good Luck with that. I can rebuild the engine easier than I can rebuild the steering column. I had a few apart and just opted to replace entire columns going forward. Less breakage and frustration. I wish I could help but I never even seen a complete set of repairs instructions on how to replace the wiper switch.

fitz

I had the same problem with my 84 M1028.
I tore my column apart and I quickly realized I was in over my head. My truck was an early 84 and didn't have the set screw for the ignition lock which added to my problems.
I then did a search on S.S. and found some old post covering this topic. Cucvrus offered the same advice in a previous post and I took his advice and replaced the complete column.
I was lucky and had a parts truck to take the column from. No matter where you live you should be able to find a clean non tilt column for $50-$100.
It took me about 2 hours to pull the column from the parts truck, clean it up, and install it in my M1028.

Attachments

Small Prepper

Morning

yes this is going to be a pain in the a$$. I have been working on this for a week, taking brakes when I get pi$$ off, but I still want to try to make it work. I feel like I am almost there and need some help figuring this thing out.

Is there Anyone else that might be able to help???

thanks, Roy

Small Prepper

Afternoon

things are lining up, got everything installed to signal switch. now having problem with the pin that stops the wheel from turning and gear lever moves freely (pin not coming out far enough) I don't think the key switch groves are in the right location

still looking for some help?

roy

Small Prepper

Afternoon S.S. members

I would like to give a "BIG SHOUT OUT" to OLLIED (Oliver Davis in Mt. Airy). He took the time to come out to my house and help me put the rack and sector gear in place. It is a two person project. It is great to have people like "Ollied" on S.S. that are willing to go out of there way, to help with any problem you might have on your military vehicle.

Thanks again Roy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks