• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rack universal or modular mounting arm anyone?

Ok guys,

im really new here and have been pumped about a roof rack like most here. But am not ever going to pay 1,700 for a roof rack. I looked around locally and on the internet also and found several all steel racks that are quality for 500 bucks basket only. What if I had my father in law that owns a nice metal shop (Spin Tech mufflers and superior metal fabricators in riverside california) fab up some steel powdercoated universal mounting arms. Something that would allow us to use already available rack basket at good prices? we could have a bolt on design or my preferred option weld it on.

im trying to gauge interest in this, i sent him a picture and am waiting to hear back of ball park cost. But if if was under like 400 bucks, for all four arms I would jump on that personally. again I dont know what it would cost but am waiting to here back. That way we could have a nice clean mounting rack for under 1,000.00 bucks. you use a surco rack and you could do this for 600 to 700 bucks potentially. Again this is just me spit balling.

????????

jdeoliveira74

If you could keep the price down I would jump in for sure I agree 1700 is way to high although its a sweet rack. I want a rack that size for sure front to back of truck off the roof so I can run a soft top

If you could keep the price down I would jump in for sure I agree 1700 is way to high although its a sweet rack. I want a rack that size for sure front to back of truck off the roof so I can run a soft top
I understand. I also sent a PM to RIKI asking if he thought f doing just the arm, but never heard back. My m1009 is on its way to AZ this weekend, so I wont get it for another week or so. But as soon as its in california its going straight into the folks shop. I will update as things progress.

I also really like the size of the rack RIKI made, lots of space and like you I want to be able to take off the hard top while utilizing the rack.

question about materials though. I was originally thinking steel, but after having read alot of 4x 4 forums there seems to be alot of aluminum. In a few cases the aluminum is actually as strong for less weight. Looked at racks like Hannibal, Front Runner, Surco, Defender, etc. The hannibals are my pick made of architectural grade 6063. very light and very strong, I think 80 lbs and are tested to 1 ton. Obviously we need to insure the mounting arms are bullet proof but what do you guys think? Steel or Aluminum? I think stainless is a no brainer on the mounting hardware but just ideas.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
paraclete comes;1059113[COLOR=Red said:
] I also really like the size of the rack RIKI made, lots of space and like you I want to be able to take off the hard top while utilizing the rack.

question about materials though. I was originally thinking steel, but after having read alot of 4x 4 forums there seems to be alot of aluminum. In a few cases the aluminum is actually as strong for less weight. Looked at racks like Hannibal, Front Runner, Surco, Defender, etc. The hannibals are my pick made of architectural grade 6063. very light and very strong, I think 80 lbs and are tested to 1 ton. Obviously we need to insure the mounting arms are bullet proof but what do you guys think? Steel or Aluminum? I think stainless is a no brainer on the mounting hardware but just ideas.[/COLOR]

If you can make this - and keep the over all cost at or below $1000 you will sell lots of them

aluminum vs steel

I would imagine it is actually a cost vs weight factor

the aluminum will be lighter, but probably cost more

the steel will be heavier, but be cheaper

so - your trade - off will be weight vs $$$ cost

let us know

charlietango

thats how mine is designed.. page 3 shows it without top.. simply un-bolt, slide the top out and re-bolt the cage. the way it was designed the cage can't slip off while doing this which is a bonus

charlietango

well.. thats the beauty of universal mounts... with the new basket I'm creating and the space and means to slide in and lock you can pretty much imagine and create anything you want to fit in there...lol

jdeoliveira74

yeah thats cool... you should market it for sure ! I am no fabricator by anymeans now with wood I can build but metal not so much! I would buy for the right price!

charlietango

yea like I said the steel ran me around the 300 mark and it took a couple days but the shipping might be horrendous .. I'm sure we could figure something out

charlietango

that was for everything... im wondering if a trailer cover could be modified to skin it for those who want to run soft top... attach with buttons or something with straps that you could just roll up the sides if not all the way off..

just thinking on the fly haha :cookoo:

Charlie,

How much for a finished skeleton are you asking? Also If I want to remove the shell on the m1009 do I need to unbolt the skeleton and basket to do so, or can everything stay in place? I would like it to be one single piece and wasnt sure from the pics or description. I like the looks of this alot! Im bummed now to see our in Canada, which might make shipping a beast!

charlietango

total cost and shipping I will look into... I will also explore the design and cost in aluminum. Im not in this hobby to get rich so it will likely just costs and a bit of time...
Its all one piece. you would have to un bolt the shell as normally, slide it out 5 inches, replace the front two bolts to secure the skeleton back to the truck solo. Finish sliding the shell out the rear as normal and finish up by putting the rear bolts back into the skeleton. its really easy and I have done it myself. (I recommend bolting the front of the skeleton in before fully removing the shell just for added security during the process)
Its warming up so I will take pictures of the mounting and removal etc later this week and get them up

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks