• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radial Tire Options/need a supplier......

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hope this isn't too much of a :deadhorse:
But:

Michelin 12.00R20 XML opinions? I want to go with radials, but keep my duals, and get tires that are the same, or near the same diameter as my 9.00-20's so my speedo will be accurate. I'm scared to death to take the 9.00's into the mountains on snowy/frozen roads, and don't want to hassle with chains. I found some pics of Michelin 12.00R20 XML's and these XL 12.5R20's, but some voiced concerns with chaffing......I also need a dealer/supplier for these tires/tubes

Attachments

rdixiemiller

RE: Radial Tire Options

12.50R20 will fit in a dual application, and are the same height as 900's. 14.50 R20 will run as singles, and are the same height as 1100's. 1200R20 would be taller than 1100's, which are taller than 900's, so I don't think they are what you want. The good thing is, 12.50R20 seem to be pretty easy to find. I looked at the truck in the pics, they looked OK.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial

I think the 12.5R20 XL's are the way I want to go, now I need to find 11 of them.........

Alredneck

Banned

I dont know bout 12s but 11r20 xls i know where you can get them but how far are you willing to go. 11s probs goin to be a bit cheaper anyway you reckon anybody got input on cost difference between the two. FMJ im sendn a pm

jimbo*

Re: RE: Radial Tire Options

FMJ said:
I think the 12.5R20 XL's are the way I want to go, now I need to find 11 of them.........
I may be able to help. Let me get a count of what I've got, and I'll get back to you Tuesday night.
Jimbo

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Radial Tire Options

Jimbo helped me out with some 12.50R20 Michelin XL's but I need a few more for a good set for the truck. Anyone know of a dealer/source for these tires?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like the Michelin XL 1100 X 20s. You could mount them as duals or singles. You'll get your best traction with singles. The speedometer will be off by a few miles/hour, though, which may be a problem for you based upon your post. The military must have made an adaptor to account for the larger tires. Maybe someone with an original M34 could let us know. I have an M35A2 with super singles (Michelin XL 1100s), but the speed is off slightly because of the bigger tires. I know they made an adaptor for the 5 tons with 1400s because I have a few.

saddamsnightmare

March 26th, 2008.

Allan Ritchie at Berg Tire in Fayetteville,N.C. can set you up with superior M+S Goodyear G177 12 Ply RAdials that will do the job for you @$100.00 each+ shipping (mine came to about $124.00 each to Texas,. These were government issue used, but with 95 to 100% remaining tread, however, you will need radial tubes to go with them, but on my truck I'm opting for the 1100R20's for singling-load rated higer then the 9:00x20 NDT duals and the truck won't be as slippery in mud and snow (particularly with the hubs turned in).... These are what the M35's have been using in Government service lately,a nd they're cheaper then the Michelins and get better traction ( the rubber man uses too hard a grade of rubber for traction- great for wear, lousy for handling- been there, done that).

Regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce Truck
""??"" Johnson MFG co. M105A2 1-1/2 Ton Trailer, Cargo, MERDC or NATO 4 color woodland scheme
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, Mercedes Benz S404.114.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
saddamsnightmare said:
March 26th, 2008.

Allan Ritchie at Berg Tire in Fayetteville,N.C. can set you up with superior M+S Goodyear G177 12 Ply RAdials that will do the job for you @$100.00 each+ shipping (mine came to about $124.00 each to Texas,. These were government issue used, but with 95 to 100% remaining tread, however, you will need radial tubes to go with them, but on my truck I'm opting for the 1100R20's for singling-load rated higer then the 9:00x20 NDT duals and the truck won't be as slippery in mud and snow (particularly with the hubs turned in).... These are what the M35's have been using in Government service lately,a nd they're cheaper then the Michelins and get better traction ( the rubber man uses too hard a grade of rubber for traction- great for wear, lousy for handling- been there, done that).

Regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce Truck
""??"" Johnson MFG co. M105A2 1-1/2 Ton Trailer, Cargo, MERDC or NATO 4 color woodland scheme
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, Mercedes Benz S404.114.
Do you recall what size the military is using in dual applications?

http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/tr...code=service&prodline=161006&webprodline=G177

saddamsnightmare

March 29th, 2008.

Dear FMJ:

Sorry I fell of the thread, please accept my apologies. From what I've been able to learn here (Steel Soldiers)and from the NG guys in the area, is that the 1100R20's (Load Range is "H", higer then the normal NDT's) will work in dualled rear applications (but the carrying capacity will drop a bit per tire due to the manufacturer's specifications from the single applications), but I believe that the tire pressures will be close to 100PSI (there has been discussion on here about that), in any case the pressures must be maintained at factory specifications so that the side wall bulges of the radials don't rub each other on road contact area (Very bad JU-JU, blows the tires out in like nothing flat. You may want to check with Mr. Ritchie to see if the G177's are available in 900R20 sizes, and the pressures will be according to the specifications for the size tires. I had intended to convert my Unimog from 10:50X20 NDT's to the G177's, but I wasn't willing to sacrifice my original rear fenders to get the clearances needed, so the duece was bought to use up the tires instead. My experience in the West Virginia Mountains and in Construction work back there, is that these tires will incrrease your traction and handling in most mud and snow applications way over the NDT's, and the increased diameter will increase your over the road speed, but decrease your available torque, and in the dualled applications, the 1100's will increase the chance of the rear of the truck floating in deep mud and snow (empty) and may increase your chances of getting stuck with the larger tire areas on the road (versus the 900's). Most West Virgina loggers single out the rears to gain the same tire paths as the fronts, and to avoid the floating tendencies as much as possible displayed by the dualled rears. I'm sure both Mr. Ritchie and the members here can get you some more substantial advice, but for my money, the NDT's can't cut in in mud and snow, particularly on hard surfaces (rock ledges, roads, etc).

If you need more advice please contact me at: kyle_mcgrogan@hotmail.com or on here, I will try to get back to you much sooner then I did this time.... Please do accept my humble apologies for the omission,

I remain, Sir,
Most Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan aua

Farmy22

If you're still looking for some, I have a set of four 12.5R20's i'm trying to sell. Two are Goodyear G800s i had for steers and two are Michelin xl's. They only have about 30 miles on them. I got them new with the casting whiskers on them still.

tahoe_on44s

12.5r20 XLs

i've been looking for a set of 12.5 r 20 michelin Xls to put on my tahoe. if anyone knows where i might be able to find a cheap set let me know. i need a set of tires to fit on some 20" aluminum wheels and i've noticed a lot of people running the 12.5Xls so that's what i'm wanting to go with either the 12.5s or the 14'5s, but i'm having trouble finding them for a reasonable price.

i also have a set of goodyear 11.00r20 tires that won't mount up to the wheels that i have, i bought the tires off allen at berg tires they have nearly 100% tread if anyone is interested shoot me a price i have 580 in them hoping to get at least 350 for all 4

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks