• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radial Tire Repair

cbvet

One of my 1400 R 20 Michelins has a sidewall break, that leaks air.
I've been thinking about a boot in the tire & adding a tube.
Stopped in at a Michelin truck tire dealer in South Bend today to see about it.
Guy there said he could replace a "section" of the tire, with new material vulcanized in. Claims it's done on OTR truck tires a lot.
I really just want to use this repaired tire as a spare.
What do you think?
Eric
CBVET

cbvet

Where are these $175 tires?
The only similar used tires in my area, are 1600-20s for $300 each.
With the current cost of fuel, & possibly time off work to get tires, I don't have a lot of choices.
I frequently read about great deals guys get on trucks, parts, tires, etcetera, but shipping or travel is rarely figured in.
Eric
CBVET

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a couple michelins in Dec for 100 each (1100's new), the 1400's were $175. That was from Berg tire. The shipping quote to me for a pallet way well below 200$.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The big thing with berg is to keep calling every 2-3 weeks. His inventory always changes. Or give him your # and have him call when he gets some in. :wink:

Albin

BEASTMASTER said:
i think the guys an idiot, don't do it, it's against the law to repair a sidewall on any commercial truck tire. the tire is junk!!!!
I'm having a Super Swamper tire sidewall fixed as we speak, should be able to pick it up today.

The truck tire place that is doing ONLY does OTR tires, his shop is full of them. He's doing my (relatively) small tire only as a favor and it barely fits into his machine.

So, he's not an idiot and it's not illegal. It's done all the time.

To the OP: if you do it, I'd recommend you use it on a rear tire vs. a front tire. It's what my guy told me to do.

Good luck.

Al