• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator capacity?

MTN UAV

ok guys what the heck am I doing wrong! I am not a "motorhead" for sure but I am quickly learning on my M1009! Ok...today I flushed my radiator and I was told that the radiator takes 24 quarts of fluid......12 anti-freeze (3 gal) and 12 water (3 gal). So I buy 3 gal each....after I flush it out and everything is (supposedly) drained...I close up the pet-cock and start to fill it up. Well, I got in 1 gal of anti-freeze and 1 gal of water.....it is full and will not take anymore! What gives??????

MTN UAV

MTN UAV

Does anyone live in the southern california area that used to work on the M1009's in the Military....I need a mechanic! I live up in the mountains of Lake Arrowhead (San Bernardino Mountains)

MTN UAV

kc8sfq

My guess is the block isn't drained. First: the obligatory admonition about the tech orders....Get 'um.

I'm not that familiar with the CUCV specifically, but the all the Chev "V" engines that I ma familiar with (small block, big block and diesels, which are just modified big blocks) have drains in the block. look for a pipe plug, or if you get lucky, a valve not unlike your rad drain. one on each side just above the oil pan mount and about amidships (fore/ aft) doubtless in some inaccessible position and probably buried in gook.

Good luck. Play with these things long enough, and you'll become a gearhead..... or go back to stamp collecting

papercu

Not even Mr. Stamp Collector? :-D Actually the LO has the cooling system at 25 gt but that is for the entire system, engine block, hoses, heater core and overflow jug. Wayne

zout

instead of buying a specific radiator flush kit - use a good liquid detergent for laundry - for a 14 gallon system we use about 1 cup full - really cleans out the radiator good. just let it tun in the system and flush with a hose till no more soap is visual - then refill with your antifreeze on a 50/50 mix - or just get the mix already.

3dubs

After draining the radiator pull the lower radiator hose with a large container to catch the mess. Then pull the pink wire off the injection pump and turn the engine over. With the pink wire off it will not start. Only crank for about ten seconds and then let the starter cool off for about a minute repeat until no more antifreeze comes out. Make sure the hose will not make contact with any moving parts. Put the hose back on, close the pet-cock, put the pink wire back on, and add coolant. Then turn the engine over to get coolant in the engine and add more coolant.

MTN UAV

You are absolutely right Tennessee Colonel....I did not drain the block. So I guess I had 4 gallons of water left in the block when I added my 1 gallon of water and 1 gallon of a/f. I guess my question now is....is that enough a/f in the system? The color is really green.

And thank you 3dubs. Where is the injection pump located on these things? I will try that too.

MTN UAV

3dubs

If you open the hood and look at the engine the injection pump is under the intake manifold. Looking at it look just under the front of the air cleaner. You will see a pink wire. It has a plastic clip. When you take that wire off you will not get fuel to the engine. That allows you to turn the engine over turning the water pump without starting the motor. You could leave it on just do not let it run long. I will recommend taking the wire off to prevent overheating the engine. But be sure not to over heat the starter. It is simple. Always check your hoses. It is much easier to replace it at home instead of using tape on a hot leaking hose to get you into the next town.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks