• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator core is shot

bz28

So my radiator starting leaking pretty bad, lost about 3/4 of a gallon after sitting overnight. Got it pulled out last night and dropped it off at the radiator shop today. The guy calls me this afternoon and tells me the core is shot. He says big cores like that are replaceable, but it's hard to find ones that fit right and with labor I'm looking at about $800.

Does that sound about right for a repair like that? If so, I'm just going to buy a new or rebuilt unit instead. Or does anyone know of some shop that might specialize in old radiators like this and would do it more affordably?

I found one place that sells rebuilt rads for $450, and new ones for $725. Does that sound good, or should I keep looking?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
BZ $800 is what I was told on a re-core too. I think somewhere there is NEW ones for that price. I have a take out or two if you can;t find one near you.

I needed to get the radiator repaired in my m52a2 and it was to thin on the cores and the radiaror shop said I should look for a nother one because the cost of the new core was about $600 a new one will be about $1200

ARYankee

I would go with a rebuild or a used one. I found someone close to me that sold me a used one for a wee bit over $400. Its a lot cheaper if you can get it locally or fairly close because shipping will be horrible. There may be some for sale on here too. I have some quotes for some new ones if you are interested.

saddamsnightmare

May 24th, 2009.

Big Cores/Radiators cost big money, but sooner or later every one of our trucks are going to have this part fail, so if your plans include working the truck hard, either go for new or a really heavy duty recore. Unfortunately the army never saw fit to go for sectional cores like we do on the big diesel locomotive radiator units, that way you only replave the bad section not the whole radiator.....:cry:

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks