• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator Dimensions

Chevyman_15237

I am looking to get a price on getting my deuce radiator re-cored, but I don't have my deuce here to get some dimensions off of it.

Does anyone have the dimensions/specs of our radiator handy?

Height
Width
Thickness

Thanks a bunch!

Brian

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
23.5 wide
21.5 tall
3row deep.

Thats the core part measured from top tank to bottom tank. left to right without the frame included.

runk

Note that it isn't anything like a standard modern core ! I can't remember the term, but my radiator guy called it the same thing as several other people here have posted. Basically the top tank (which actually is sort of two tanks internally), is manufactured as part of the core. To use a standard core, a new top tank will have to be made. The quote was ~$700, which is about what several of the parts dealers want for a new radiator ! You can find good take outs for $300.
Also, the way the layers of CARC overspray peel off the core tubes look a lot like a rotten core. Unless you've got a lot of leaks, don't write it off until you get it hot tanked and leak checked.
Good luck.

runk

"bucket" radiator tank

We didn't have to open mine, since the core was fine the couple of leaky tubes soldered up nicely once it was cleaned up. So I have never seen the interior of an actual deuce tank. Found the name, the construction is called a "bucket tank", and was also used in a lot of the 60's muscle cars.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/engine-drivetrain/53938-m35a2-radiator-murphys-lawyers.html

The radiator guy showed me one he said was similar. On the one he showed me, the part missing in your picture was several soldered together pieces that formed an internal "tank" with some baffles and openings. It was to maintain some air space in the the radiator to act as an expansion space for the hot coolant. My experiences with trying to get the last bit of coolant out of the radiator seemed consistent with some sort of internal baffles or tanks ! (I must have flipped it over 20 times, and it still dribbled coolant out on the way to the shop.)
As the shop guy explained it to me, he would have had to build a new bottom part of the top tank (shown in your picture), that would fit a modern core top and mate to the top part of the top tank (missing in your picture). Then the problem was soldering everything together without one part coming loose while attaching another.

Last edited:

Chevyman_15237

Thank you all very much for the fast info! A local rad shop (decent people) quoted me 100 bucks to boil, test and repair it. He was curious as to the size to rebuild it... this should be interesting... :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks